What if Tom Waits released a Christmas album?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/21/what-if-tom-waits-released-a-christmas-album.html

2 Likes

I’d buy it.

3 Likes

The closest he’s gotten to a Christmas song.

13 Likes

the idea is more amusing than the video

9 Likes

Tangentially this one too…

I love the idea of this recording hitting the airways of some distant planet millions of years from now…

4 Likes

“Poncho’s Lament” sounds like a Christmas song to me for some reason

The Pretenders’ overtly Chistmas-y “2000 Miles” has a similar mood and my brain groups them together

1 Like

I’d always play Chocolate Jesus each Easter when I was still doing radio.

4 Likes

If Tom Waits released a Christmas album, I would hope he’d cover this…

2 Likes

My thoughts also. I don’t think Waits can be imitated.

3 Likes

FROSTY THE HAUNTED SNOWMAN! - By far the best Christmas song ever!!

2 Likes

Came here to say this. The Neko Case cover is great too.

2 Likes

Thanks for your service!

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, from the first time I heard them I thought Ruby’s Arms and On The Nickel were just tragic Christmas songs.

Chocolate Jesus is our family’s required going on holiday song in the car

PS: this BB posting needs a “Warning: contains LDB” for those playing along

It couldnt be worse than Bob Dylans christmas record.

Yes, absolutely, Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis! Also, Jesus Gonna Be Here.

the 1978 ACL recording is my favorite version out of the 75 or so that I’ve heard. I what I wouldn’t give to have a copy with the laughing crowd removed.

Personally I gotta say this is a pretty cheap shot - transpose any singer/musician and their ‘publicly perceived’ addiction and “Boom” comedy gold. /s

Then there’s this for a Christmas song:

Hmm. That’s number two in greatest Christmas song of all time. Problematic (though of its time) language aside. See you that and raise you this

2 Likes

Yeah problematic lyrics. Won’t raise but I’ll hold on a weird Australian/Irish Christmas anthem about making festive gravy from a convicts point of view… contemporary convict that is. Paul Kelly: