What is a "Gilligan Hitch?"

Originally published at: What is a "Gilligan Hitch?" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

25 Likes
9 Likes

Remember the landlubber’s adage: if you can’t tie a knot, tie a lot.

9 Likes

I’d heard it suggested that Tonto was actually saying ‘qui no sabe’ - “idiot”

7 Likes

I feel that this is plausible because LR was part of a group of ambushed Texas Rangers in the origin story, and the only one to survive, with Tonto’s help. The irony of it is that “tonto” in Spanish means foolish.

10 Likes

Learning nautical knots was fun, but splicing rope together was tedious and required a level of expertise that I never got the hang of.

7 Likes

Quien no sabe = who doesn’t know

4 Likes

9 Likes

Apart from “gangsta lean”, by itself “lean” has also become part of hip hop jargon specifically in Texas where mixing booze and a certain cough syrup became a popular drink: syzzurp. If you drink enough you lose your sense of balance-- “get your lean on.”

1 Like

Seeing the term “Gilligan hitch” brought up a curious memory. The Powers What Am in Illinois brought an obscenity case in 1988 against the manager of a comic book shop called Friendly Frank’s, b/c he sold adult comics to an adult. More than 100 books were seized, titles including Omaha the Cat Dancer, The Bodyssey, and Weirdo.

Weirdo #17 rec’d special attention, due to a single page story written and drawn by Lynne Von Schlichting called Isle of Lust, featuring the characters from Gilligan’s Island. The prosecution was seriously offended b/c the Skipper had tied Gilligan to a bed. Arrows pointed at two of the knots, helpfully labelled ‘nautical knots.’ The Skipper moaned, “Ooh, Little Buddy!”

cat yronwode, called as an expert defense witness, remembers reading and describing the comic into the record, and that the court stenographer couldn’t stop laughing.

5 Likes

Hilligan Gitch is my new band name

3 Likes

More rarely these days, cars whose engines had been tweaked to increase performance/speed were said to have been “leaned on.” I cracked up a car addict buddy by describing someone with loads of obvious plastic surgery as having been leaned on.

3 Likes

Mulligan Glitch would be my hacker name if I was an Irish-adjacent hacker.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.