What is mise en scène in film making?

Originally published at: What is mise en scène in film making? | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Ah, “mice on the scene”. [rubs chin approvingly]

4 Likes

mise en scène or montage?

3 Likes

Did you just trick me into watching a 10 minute commercial for StudioBinder? TIHI

3 Likes

Former Film & Media Studies student here. While the internet and social media were still in their infancy, we learned this from so much dry text. Advertising notwithstanding, I kind of wish we’d had more visual aids that supported both the topic at hand and video examples.

9 Likes

Mise en scène is when you chop up all your vegetables before starting to cook.

10 Likes

I simply disagree that sound design is part of mise en scène. That broadens the meaning of the concept too much.
I prefer to think of mise en scène as “everything that is physically in front of the camera.”
Sound can support the meaning and impact of mise en scène, but it’s just not part of the “materiality” of what the camera sees.

3 Likes

While mise en place is putting all those chopped vegetable in pretty bowls before filming your cooking show.

9 Likes

I know because of one reason: I have studied French and it’s the same in Italian!
Well, two reasons: I studied French, it’s the same in Italian and my daughter very recently got a job as (help of the assistant of the) scenographer in an Italian crime series.
Well, three reasons.
(nobody expects the French mise en scène! - also, I wanted to play proud father, for once)

7 Likes

I first got my “taste” of mise en scene in the 90s, and that via the films of the Quay Brothers. Although American in upbringing and practicing their art in England, that’s how seemingly all of their film’s credit them.

1 Like

I think it’s kind of funny that most of the time the words ‘mise en scène’ are shown on screen in the video, they’re misspelled ‘mise en scéne.’

2 Likes

Here you go:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.