What is the best name to ask Siri to call you?

I don’t use Siri precisely because (as near as I can tell) she never addresses you by your name unprompted. What’s the point of stealing my wife’s phone to have Siri call her “Princess Pouty Pants” if she never does?

Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

9 Likes

hmm, i like that. perhaps my phone is going to be less formal for 2020.

3 Likes

Its a once in a while thing…it hasn’t used my “name” in awhile, i wonder it has stopped doing that.

As a rule I don’t use Siri, since (like all “conversational” UIs) it’s absolute piping hot garbage. But the last time I was bored enough to change how it addressed me, that meant changing my own address book entry, which is annoying in various ways. Can you now just tell it to call you something different? Not that that would make it worth having.

4 Likes

Well, I think she’s just prone to the occasional bout of sullen disposition, but you probably know her better than I.

5 Likes

Siri obeys the First Law of Virtual Assistants, and so will not let you come to harm.

18 Likes

Mine calls me by my name all the time, and it isn’t the one I use here.

3 Likes

My first name is very common, this once caused a minor problem at a coffee shop when I got someone else’s order. I decided to use a name nobody else would use for those kinds of transactions.

So now I hear cooks or baristas shouting out “Lucifer, your chicken sandwich is ready” etc.

19 Likes

My phone calls me “ring ring”, simple is the best way.

9 Likes

Hey Google seemed so impersonal. I’ve found that Hey Boo Boo works just as well.

3 Likes

Mine is mute!

4 Likes

Mine doesn’t call me at all. Now, if only I could get other people to follow suit…

5 Likes

I don’t use voice assistants… but if I did? They’d all call me “Captain Outstanding.”

4 Likes

I gave her a British female voice and instructed her to call me “You Dirty Monkey”.
There have been several occasions where I’ll be talking to someone and she mistakenly thinks I beckoned her and she says something like: “I’m not sure of what you want, you dirty monkey”.

12 Likes

“Old Trout” would be a classic choice. :new_zealand:

Of course, humour aside, what should the surveillance device you permitted in your house, probably without a warrant, call you? Hmm… :thinking:

3 Likes

14 Likes

11 Likes

I originally told Google Assistant to call me “ma’am”, but it didn’t really work out because she’s normally fairly informal.

Now she calls me “darling”.

8 Likes

By my reckoning, “Mr Fancypants” is way more formal than “Sir”. Might explain why I don’t get about in high society much.

1 Like

Siri, call me Ishmael.

6 Likes