What is the tastiest apple?

Kanzi doesn’t appear in this list but should definitely be in the top 3. For those who don’t know them: cross between Braeburn and Gala.

2 Likes

I can’t help reposting this in every apple thread, because apple varieties are one of those things that hipsters love to get all snobby about. So here we go again:

Fun fact, half the varieties people argue about are all the same apple. Apples can’t be patented, but apple names can be trademarked. Creating a new variety is super difficult, so producers just rebrand the same few varieties over and over again. There’s way less varieties out there than you think.

3 Likes

That doesn’t look like proper scrumpy. It’s too clear, for one thing. And it doesn’t come in a big plastic flagon.

There, much better.

3 Likes

Please tell me that the “Cheddar” on the label refers to a town in Somerset, not an ingredient list!

3 Likes

If the worst thing you can imagine about farmhouse scrumpy is that it might have cheese in it, you’re probably best off avoiding farmhouse scrumpy.

3 Likes

Oh, no, I like scrumpy cider as a general rule!

In the Midwestern US, we call it raw cider.

1 Like

The stuff from Somerset is … special.

3 Likes

I’m lucky that we have direct access to these here (and most BC apple varieties). There are so many places we can go that just have bins of fresh apples that you can get on the honour system. You weigh them yourself and drop money into a box. At $0.50 a pound, it’s easy to get carried away :smiley:

1 Like

In Wiltshire we used to get scrumpy in jugs like that, it turned black if you didn’t drink it in one sitting.

2 Likes

Really? I love Honeycrisps! They’re so juicy and very tasty. They’re my new favorite apple. What part of the country are you in? I’m in NYC - maybe we’re getting the best of the crop?

Scrumpy should be opaque, occasionally greenish in colour and frightening in effect. Best purchased from a farm somewhere jarringly rural any time-warpy such as could be used as a location in a Thomas Hardy novel. And best kept out of direct sunlight or it’ll start to smell like eggs.
(Mind you, I once had a Perry called moon-something or other, I forget exactly what, which looked like water, tasted like the best pear you’ve ever bitten into, and was 12%. So not all ciders need to be opaque :wink:)
ETA: I am clearly not the first to so opine, I see. Mind you, I’ve never had any that went black, like @timd :flushed:
Do any old UK hippies remember Kenny Cramp’s legendary scrumpy from Kent? That stuff was hardcore.

3 Likes

Calvados schmalvados.

To hook in with other folks in the discussion singing the virtues of West Country cider, this ambrosia is what you get when you distill scrumpy and age it for 20 years.

These folks also do a range of ciders from buy-in-bulk borderline loony juice to an amazing bottle-fermented sparkler.

5 Likes

Really? Nobody?

images

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.