What is the tastiest apple?

I wonder if that has to do with availability. Ambrosia apples originated in BC and are grown under license in various countries. Might not be available everywhere. I like Cameos, but those can be hard to find.

I’ve never even heard of some of the varieties that people are mentioning here. Looks like I have a lot of apple exploration in my future.

Not an apple fan. I’m one of those people who gets a chewing-tinfoil sensation biting into apples. But as the grocery shopper in the family, I can definitively say that neither Braeburn nor Cosmic Crisp have gone over well as eating apples in this house. Fuji and Pink Lady are what the people want.

2 Likes

They are a type of Macintosh, an early version that ripens before most other apples.

3 Likes

The list does not rate the Empire apple very highly, but if you eat it right from a tree it is quite crisp and bright.

2 Likes

I am digging Cosmic Crisp these days.

2 Likes

I had Gala and Fuji as options when ordering my groceries today. Glad I chose the right one.

Me too, as long as I can get the large BC grown ones. There used to be a fresh fruit stand in the Market on Granville Island that sold them. Hopefully they’ll be back post-Covid.

I’ve eaten almost every kind of commercially grown apple out there and Ambrosia’s are all I’ll eat now. I was allergic to so much stuff as a kid that apples were almost the only thing I could always safely eat. I’m an apple snob now.

The big, BC Grown softball-sized ones are the best! Always better than the puny foreign imports or out of province versions.

1 Like

Damn! It’s working…

3 Likes

Did anyone else read this as “What is the tastiest people”?

For $200 in the “Inappropriate Recipes” category: “The people who have soaked overnight in a bathtub of marinade”

2 Likes

My Dad was a Macoun fan (lived in VT, near a source), so that gets a nod for sentimentality. I dig Honey Crisp and Granny Smith.

But let’s side-track this whole discussion and talk about apple cider doughnuts - are they the greatest, or the absolute greatest?!

cookie monster GIF

6 Likes

Dang it! Just saw some at Trader Joe’s yesterday and I was good and walked right by and now I regret it.

1 Like

A big problem with many apples is that they just don’t keep. A fresh, just picked Macintosh is thing of joy; but literally just hours later it may have already started to turn mealy and lose its crispness. And a lot of apples nowadays are older than a year by the time you eat them – I swear the local grocery chain buys last years apples well into the season, because they are nothing like the stuff I get at the local orchards, even for the same varieties.
(Checks calendar) Sigh, still another month before the season really starts. Normally I’d take a road trip up north where the season’s already well underway, but it’s 2021.

2 Likes

Only if they’re purchased AT the apple orchard at the same time as the U-pick apples.

1 Like

I can’t get past the color.

5 Likes

What if I self marinade in a mixture of tequila and orange juice? It works better from the inside, right?

Or if you want to keep it apple related:
It’s like spiked apple juice, not some beer version with apple flavor.

1 Like

It’s got “delicious” right in the name! :woman_shrugging:t2:

Oh, and @snigs and @Avery_Thorn - same here! In the eighties here in Maine red delicious totally lived up to their name. Something happened. I haven’t even bought one in years.

2 Likes

:joy:
(Courtesy of @FGD135 over on the unusual foods thread)

6 Likes

Caramel

3 Likes

I like sweet apples and dislike tart so Fujis are my favorite. I once discovered really good Honeycrisps but since then I’ve been disappointed with all of the ones I’ve tried. By the way, I buy them from local growers at farmer’s markets so they are pretty fresh.