What is this mysterious perfect hole in the surface of Mars?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/05/what-is-this-mysterious-perfect-hole-in-the-surface-of-mars.html

2 Likes

It’s a mohole dug by terraformers; Kim Stanley Robinson just explained it to me

14 Likes

It looks distinctly imperfect.

18 Likes

Hmm…

18 Likes

And it’s not Elon?

8 Likes

Elsewhere I see there are 7 possible cave entrances on the slopes of that volcano.
Nicknamed the 7 sisters: “Dena, Chloë, Wendy, Annie, Abbey, Nikki, and Jeanne.”
So is this hole one of those or something else?

3 Likes

9 Likes

… impact from the BFG 10000, perhaps?

:: shows self the door ::

8 Likes

humans would need someplace to live if we’re talking habitation. with no magnetic field, mars doesn’t seem like a friendly place for staycations.

1 Like

What is a perfect hole? I would say that it’s different from a divot or a depression, but I haven’t quantified it myself.

By contrast, I can identify an imperfect hole, exhibit A, a cluster of imperfect holes:

2 Likes

Maybe it was caused by the impact of a large spherical cow?

SphericalCow2

10 Likes

Not yet. Unfortunately

4 Likes

Not yet.

4 Likes

See, that’s just one of the many advantages of using members of a cult in intendured servitude as the first wave; they won’t be that picky about their accommodations.

5 Likes

Purchase of a Cybertrukk entitles the owner to one (1) compulsory trip to Mars.

6 Likes
5 Likes

2 Likes

What the hell is a “Perfect Hole”?

1 Like

it’s one that’s not simply not imperfect, but also a step above cromulent. a whole hole, not a half or quarter hole. head like a. and, so on. a hole’s hole, if you will

5 Likes

From 2 Apr. 2007, that Space.com source? Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop making floating balloon bases on Venus that form and soft-land candy into holes on Mars without getting caught on surveys. Or cakes that when you cut them open are really candy, but soft-landing them… Parchment wrappers with radiation spoilage indicators, maybe? Try for a constellation of things that magnetize in response to solar wind and stub in a magnetosphere?

1 Like