Mars orbiter image shows a crashed flying saucer.... or something else entirely

Originally published at: Mars orbiter image shows a crashed flying saucer…. or something else entirely | Boing Boing

5 Likes

It’s a semi-circular dune at the end of the path.

5 Likes

Yeah, sure it is… and this is really Kermit the Frog.
Kermit_on_Mars

4 Likes

I see a bunch of Martian high school kids with too much time on their hands.

3 Likes

Funny how when only part of a formation is visible our brains’ natural instinct is to mentally picture the hidden half as a mirror-image of the part we think we can make out.

the-face-on-mars_u-L-PZMLSE0

8 Likes

Video shows a great context shot. The red spot/mouse cursor is where the closeup is from. I dunno about you, but looking at the surroundings it is pretty clearly a normal feature for the area and not a crashed saucer. Sigh… I want to believe.

8 Likes

It’s a potato, an invasive on Mars, left over by careless humans

12 Likes

Damn drunk UFO pilots, reckless aliens crashing their crafts into defenseless planets. Sad.

3 Likes

it seems odd no one has pointed out the gigantic human head at the bottom right of that image. surely that can’t be a natural phenomenon…

27 Likes

It’s clearly just a defunct example of one of Schiaparelli’s canals, as they’ve just found there’s a whole buncha water nearby… “Scientists Just Found a ‘Significant’ Volume of Water Inside Mars’ Grand Canyon”

1 Like

Without knowing anything about the elevations, it looks to me like there was a collapse at the “saucer” end of the image that resulted in two downhill flows of material resulting in a series of dunes down the elevation along both tracks. Even without assuming ALIENS, it’s a pretty interesting feature!

3 Likes

Its Happening Area 51 GIF by MOODMAN

7 Likes

It’s a fossil of a giant sandworm obviously

5 Likes
1 Like

I see that image and all I can think is:

Man, the coin got jammed and now they’ll never get their giant Mars bar!

4 Likes

If we trace the outline…

… before you know it; you are throwing buckets of kerosene at a burning stuntman.

7 Likes

Wherever these guys are from, they are pretty horrible pilots…

6 Likes

This scene is terrific. Cara, It is amazing.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look like Elon Musk, but…

1 Like

Apart from the changes he made to the photo he didn’t make changes to the photo.

Its really the entrance to the Ice Warrior base.