What is this strange metal artifact that washed up in North Carolina?

The color is a match for sure.

2 Likes

Oh for the love of god, they have one single photo accompanied by a shakycam video made by someone who has apparently never tried to identify a thing before?

Please tell me there are more photos somewhere, they can’t just be like “here’s a tiny glimpse of a mystery! kthxbye!”

1 Like

Word has it that it was first spotted by a seabird, following the outline of that timeless story of “buoy meets gull”…

14 Likes

Well, I would’ve, but the Monitor’s turret is already in the Graveyard of the Atlantic museum in Hatteras Village, I think, and the Merrimac didn’t have one.

3 Likes

Interesting, I learned something new (as I usually always do around here!), had to look that up. [However, I looked up “dollose” and got only a definition for “dollhouse” :smile: and found that it’s “dolos (plural: dolosse)”]

Cool! (linking here in case some others, like me, don’t know what it is)

6 Likes

Flotsom and jetsom. Flotsom floats and washes. Jetsom is that wich is thrown from the sea, some of which has been dragged along the bottom.

1 Like

Oops, correcting the spelling.

1 Like

I have a different understanding of those terms. Flotsam is accidental sea-litter (from a wreck, etc.) whereas jetsam is intentionally jettisoned from a vessel.

edit*

Here we go:

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/flotsam-jetsam.html

4 Likes

or maybe…

2 Likes

That’s terrible, but I liked it anyway. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A Jawa sandcrawler is kind of a ship.

3 Likes

I was guessing the light was added while it was on the beach, to keep people from driving into it. Maybe not, though…

1 Like

That’s interesting. I was told those things are called ‘armour units’ (or ‘armor units’, if you’re American).

3 Likes

And all for naught. The waters pass—
Currents will have their way;
Nature is nobody’s ally; ’tis well;
The harbor is bettered—will stay.
A failure, and complete,
Was your Old Stone Fleet.

–Melville, commenting on the Union’s failed plan to block Charleston’s harbors during the US Civil War by sinking dozens of huge old ships full of stone into them.

3 Likes
1 Like

That’s nothing compared to the boulders that get thrown around in the really big storms:

4 Likes

Re the guy who thought a metal object couldn’t float–concrete boats go back to the mid 1800s. That’s like a floating rock.

3 Likes

Did it make head piercing scream when you touched it? Did it send a signal to Jupiter? You’re probably ok.

2 Likes

Ah… The Shockwave Rider - very deserving of a film I always thought. One of my favorite sci-fi novels. Brunner is the guy who invented the computer worm.
John Sladek’s The Müller-Fokker Effect also tickled - not just because of the title.

1 Like

We’re asking the wrong question. It isn’t what it is that matters, it’s what’s inside.

Now if only there was someone around here who knows a guy with an oxygen lance suitable for cutting up locomotives and other unwieldy bits of metal… anyone?

Hmm. Well, in the meantime, let’s have it moved to @beschizza’s house. He has a closet there that doesn’t have a safe in it, and if he pries up a bit more of the baseboard and possibly knocks out a wall, this thing will fit nicely.

4 Likes