What it's like to come home to America if your name is "Ahmed"

So Americans by choice and sacrifice are automagically less patriotic than Americans by convenience? News to me.

5 Likes

I wonder if TSA agents ever worry about being killed by terrorists? I mean there’s this mistakenly simplistic notion terrorists simply want to bomb planes. Airport security checkpoints themselves could become the next target and the TSA is really, really not prepared for that possibility…

You can definitely do better than this, @peter_jones905

3 Likes

My most recent immigrant ancestors were refugees in a war in which a foreign country conquered the portion of their homeland in which they lived. The country of their birth lost [1], and they were trying to find someplace more hospitable. It’s not unreasonable to think that people might prove more loyal to a nation they choose than to one that’s forced upon them.

[1] Caveat: my great-grandmother was born after the Franco-Prussian war ended, so she was nominally a native German, and the country of her birth therefore arguably won; I’m thinking more in terms of my native French (i.e. born before the war) great-great-grandparents, who left Alsace-Lorraine when my great-grandmother was still a very young child and lacking any real agency. During the world wars, my great-grandmother generally described herself as a French immigrant, in part since her nominal German birth, especially combined with her German surname, might make her of dubious loyalty, and while the truth was somewhat complicated, I don’t see it as a complete fabrication. Her parents brought her to America as a child because they didn’t want to raise her in Germany.

1 Like

Oh for godssake, Y’all are reading his comment and probably therefore the intention behind this comment, all wrong.

He says, “…not a true American, though”, the comma is crucial here.

He doesn’t consider him to be a True American (and if that’s anything like a true Scotsman we can be assured of the difficult nature of the phrase) BUT he would be “all for” Ahmed’s admission to the country.

You see? Pete here is just so impassioned by his forthright and unequivical support for Ahmed that he can’t quite formulate his other concepts properly.

I mean. C’mon Pete yo. You must be laughing at yourself for that ditzy mistake.

How the fuck are you supposed to get a new country of birth? Ya’ eedgit!

edit: What was it Rob said? “Write when drunk, edit when high…”?

2 Likes

…LaaaaAANNNDD of the Freeeeeee, and the Hoooooome of the Braaaaaave.

I don’t understand, according to FOX “News” racism stopped after we voted in a black president and BET, etc.

But, that’s probably just my extreme liberal intolerance talking…

Well, unless you count white people. They are the ones suffering and must be integrated into things like the State of the Union by republicans…

1 Like

You can definitely do better than this

I doubt it.

2 Likes

I’ve worked (as a contractor) for DHS. Different portions, but twice.

First time, I thought it was that particular organization, but the second time confirmed it: they SELECT for cranial-rectal inversion in their hires. . . it’s one giant chain-reaction cascade of Teh Burning Stoopid.

Never again, even when I had the choice of work for DHS or take a pay cut. It’s THAT bad. . .

3 Likes

Security Theater. It’s the ONE thing TSA excels at. . .

I’m kind of hoping one day they’ll become worried about being killed by airline customers, and quit en masse.

But should he?

1 Like

I’ve worked (as a contractor) for DHS. … Never again, even when I had the choice of work for DHS or take a pay cut. It’s THAT bad. . .

I dealt with DHS many years ago and walked away from a contract because they were corrupt as hell. I was telling them over and over again that a certain service they needed was already in process of being built for free, but they wouldn’t hear it and kept trying to push me to allocate a bunch of funds to the bullshit project anyway. Waste of resources, waste of money and it didn’t make us any safer, at all.

They just keep trying to make excuses to garner more funding no matter what. I walked away in disgust. I lost an opportunity to swindle lot of money by working with them, but it would have been on the taxpayers’ dime and I wouldn’t have been able to look at myself in the mirror afterwards. They are scumbags.

3 Likes

Change it to Tom Haverford.

Wow. Just wow.

He had to earn the right to call himself an American, whereas your citizenship is based solely on the circumstances under which you passed through your mother’s vagina. Who is really the “true” American here?

1 Like

My old man, Anglo, use too go too Florida from Canada every winter for almost 20 years for an electronics convention. Till 2002. That winter when entering the USA, US customs asked him if he had ever been convicted of a crime without a pardon? He answered yes and was refused entry. Took a year of trying too pin down where his record was held, which was about 35 years old. Finally he received a letter from the RCMP and city police force that no record exists. Not good enough for the US feds. No entry. So he said fuck it and retired. Good buy that buisness interest in the US economy.

I like too imagine this story has been echo’d by countless thousands whom USE to do business in the US. Although, considering the clown show at the air port, why bother.

If you’re an American citizen, you’re going to get in.

People should start immediately simply invoking their Fifth Amendment and Miranda rights. Their lawyer comes in and gets an habeas corpus (or merely threatens to).

Do it enough times and, at some point, change occurs.

1 Like

I thought you didn’t get your rights until after you officially entered the country, which he wasn’t since he hadn’t cleared Customs.

Don’t underestimate the importance of proper costuming. My Finnish ex-husband happened to be wearing an NSA baseball cap as he handed the passport control officer at JFK his Finnish passport the first time he visited the USA in 1998. The passport control officer’s only question for him was “are you carrying any firearms?”. When my ex asked why he was asked this, the passport control officer gestured to his hat. Apparently all you need to prove that you work for the NSA is the right hat.

2 Likes

You don’t have to be brown to visit the special room. I’ve been there.