What Olympic sport would you suck at the most?

One of the horsey ones, probably. The ballet?

5 Likes

Dressage? I showed my brother the thread and he immediately said dressage.

ā€œI can get on a horse, and let it walk where it wants to go, thatā€™s about it.ā€

4 Likes

Same. But I am a champ at watching them!

If I have to pick one Iā€™ll say gymnastics, because even when I was a wee teenager I wasnā€™t all that coordinated. Trying to picture myself on the balance beam . . . :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

That just made me thinkā€¦

We need olympic tree climbing. Not rock climbing. Tree climbing.

Like grow a gnarly twisted tree a hundred feet high, and whoever goes from the bottom to the top and back down again fastest is the winner.

Squirrel people.

5 Likes

Itā€™d be kind of like this:

Except a hundred feet tall, and something like a mutated sugar maple or something. And of course no ropes. Climb that tree like you mean it. Climb it like a wild animalā€™s after you. We can put airbags at the base. Wear a helmet, youā€™ll be fiiiiiiine.

We didnā€™t grow up as a species relying on ropes and grigris and caribiners. We evolved to grip with our fingertips and toesā€¦ Then we evolved to chase after animals until they dropped dead of exhaustion. (we evolved this crazy mechanism called a brain that lets us plan and just keep after any animal we want to eat. Every time that animal thinks itā€™s safe and can rest, suddenly we show up, and they have to start running again. Imagine being hunted like that. You run 'till your legs give out, have some water, and a 30 minute nap, then suddenly thereā€™s this guy right here whoā€™s been chasing you for the last 10 hours.) Also, persistence hunting needs to be a sport. Thatā€™s some horror movie stuff right there.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was the only bit of sport at school I liked. Being a lefty came in handy for once.

7 Likes

Did long sword for a while.

4 Likes

Not in fencing, at least after making a point. It seems some coaches encourage it. Always struck me as silly and unsportsmanlike.

To crossover the parcour thread, thereā€™s many sports Iā€™d suck at, but the one I couldnā€™t get myself to do would be the high dive.

5 Likes

I couldnā€™t swim across the pool without stopping when I first started. A year later I swam 1.75 miles non-stop (in a ā€œpoolā€ that is 1/8 of a mile long ā€¦ mad props to whoever can guess what pool that is). If you do want to learn, lessons make a huge difference. I was lucky enough to have a friend work with me at lunchtime.

3 Likes

One of the teachers at my school was well into fencing.
Got 3 years for it when they caught him. :frowning:

11 Likes

My rotator cuff is of the opinion that I would suck most at shotput. Iā€™m thinking archery, though, because thatā€™s sort of what got me into this rotator cuff situation to begin with.

3 Likes

In that case swimming. I swim laps at least once a week and can do passable versions of every stroke thanks to three summers of competitive swimming for a dinky club but would eat every other competitorā€™s watery dust.

But what about battle axe? I should ask my instructor Dolph Haudhagen!

3 Likes

Me too.

Before I became ill, I wasnā€™t completely hopeless at target shooting and football (only in goal). There was also that time when I won an orienteering competition, despite having come close to last in previous years.

5 Likes

Oh wow memories. I was decent at that in high school. I beat out some military college guys at a big weekend meet which felt good even though I didnā€™t place all that well over all. While working up to the jog/fast hike pace again would be good for me I donā€™t think I want to deal with the oh thatā€™s got thorns all over it and I need to untangle myself fun again. It just wasnā€™t a good run in the woods if you didnā€™t come back bleeding.

5 Likes

Weight-lifting.

I have an expectation that Iā€™d be able to do most of the other sports, just really, really badly. I can do gymnastics, but it would be a somersault landing on my back. I can do swimming, or running, or jumping, or boxing, but my result would just be closer to ā€œ0ā€ than to any of the other competitors.

Iā€™d do okay at the team sports; I mean, Iā€™d just be moving around the playing surface without doing anything to help our team score or to prevent the other team to do so, and I gather from watching years of Toronto sports teams play that thatā€™s enough to get you a job on a professional team.

On the other hand, I donā€™t think Iā€™d be able to lift a competition-level barbell. Like, it literally would not get off the floor. Like, the bar itself, without any extra weights put on it: I donā€™t think I could get it off the ground.

5 Likes

Every time the Olympics come around I joke that Iā€™m going to move to Tuvalu and take up a sport because the lack of competition is the only way Iā€™ll ever make the team.

Although I feel kind of bad for joking about it because Tuvalu does have a serious competitor in the 2016 Summer Olympics and I honestly wish him the best of luck.

4 Likes

Any team sport. Iā€™d be disqualified before competition even began on account of being just one guy instead of a team.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 193 days. New replies are no longer allowed.