What people actually say before they die

“Tell them… tell them I said… something cool…”

12 Likes

I hope to be able to say, “I wish I’d spent more time at work.” That way, whenever anyone says, “No one ever says that they wish they’d spent more time at work when they’re dying”, someone can say, “Well, actually, there was this one guy…”

10 Likes

“I believe I lost my shoes Clyde… I think the dog must have got 'em!"

2 Likes

My neighbor’s last words were “NOOOOO”. I didn’t think much of it, because there was always a ruckus at his place with his drinking buddies, so I went back to sleep. So I guess the lesson is, if you live alone and have a heart attack, make your last words “HELP”. Maybe someone will pick up on it, and you might get another chance.

4 Likes

Of course, many of these are likely apocryphal. Culturally, we seem to have a need for finding profundity in the final words of influential people.

Very probably. That said, having been through a NDE myself, I absolutely believe Jobs’ “Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow” to be sincerely legit.

5 Likes

“The gold is in the”

21 Likes

I’m glad you got to the hospital in time. LAD blockage is scary stuff. All the best in your recovery!

8 Likes

Have they revealed who is playing her in the show yet? God, they better not fuck that up.

4 Likes

Holy shit! I’m glad you’re okay! Take care of yourself…

6 Likes

i think beethoven’s more likely last words, “pity, too late,” are far more profound than the inventions. granted, they were in response to a much-anticipated gift of wine, but it works either way. similarly, goethe’s famous parting phrase, “more light!” has been interpreted as philosophical, literary-critical, or simply biological. i hope when i die i can eke out something equally ambiguous, and not just something i yell at the tv before i choke to death alone in my apartment.

of course in these times, i’m often reminded of my favorite final words, “i, john brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.”

4 Likes

Heartbreakingly, the last words of dying men are often calls to their mother.

There is nothing as heartbreaking or jarring as listening to a wounded guy dying and softly calling out for his mother. It is soul-rending.

4 Likes

“Oh my.”

Cpt. James T. Kirk (ret.)

8 Likes

I ate all the Frusen Glädjé.

5 Likes

My grandmother just cried at the end, the dementia lifted for a moment and she just cried. Earlier she did say she loved me… I’ll hang on to that.

13 Likes

“oh shit”
The main premise of Expendable, by James Alan Gardner, a book I totally recommend.

2 Likes

I like Stan Laurel’s:

"Just before he died, Laurel told his nurse he would like to go skiing. The nurse said “Are you a skier, Mr Laurel?”. He replied, “I’m not, but I’d rather be doing that than having these needles stuck in me”. A few minutes later he died.

7 Likes

“One day, an Autobot shall rise from our ranks and use the power of the Matrix to light our darkest hour. Until that day … 'till all are one.”

2 Likes

I hope you get better soon. You will get stronger. I didn’t have a widowmaker, but have now had 4 angios following a heart attack in 2017.

I was fading in the ambulance. My last words, fully formed in my head, would have been “Turn on the oxygen!” which had been left off. I silently repeated it until the EMT reached up to turn the valve. My next words came to me: “I’m not dead yet”, the way I remember the “Bring out yur dead” lines from the Holy Grail. I’ve used that after subsequent angios.

9 Likes

I hope I’m coherent enough to tell my family I love them, and then finish with “I hid some money in the . . .” and then fade out.

@ChuckV: Or, “I didn’t eat the mousse.”

5 Likes

“I drank what???”
-Socrates

11 Likes