What’s heavier, a kilogram of steel or a kilogram of feathers?

Agreed; it’s the clumsiest excuse for saying “Ah, but…” I ever came across. There’s something rather precious about being unable to deal with a simple goof or blooper in a film.

I didn’t think that was one of Lucas’, but rather the result of improv by Ford. I’ve heard that one of the key differences between the earlier films and the awful prequels was that - Lucas not yet being the monolithic figure that he would later become - the actors felt able to improvise around the clunkers and howlers in the script, so the dialogue feels a lot more natural and believable. Obviously the downside is that lines like this don’t get the scrutiny they otherwise would.

“It’s the ship that drove from Paris to L.A. in less than 5,600 miles.”

[/quote]

1 Like

R&GAD may have been the first high school play I saw, and the two leads were played by girls, which might have been transgressive way back then.

I don’t know how it could be perceived as deplorable, unless you somehow mistook Hamlet’s intentions for Tom Stoppard’s. They even play Questions!

In hindsight, I wonder if it influenced my sequel to Waiting For Godot in which due to a miscommunication Godot waits around for Vladimir and Estragon, who of course never show up.

Man, I wish I still had a copy of that.

4 Likes

It did take Mark Hamill a couple of years to learn facial expressions.

3 Likes

And boy, did he ever!

8 Likes

There was an explanation out and about just after the film’s release that explained it as Solo trying to make Kenobi and Skywalker look like complete rubes by spouting obvious nonsense at them, which I bought. But neither of them rise to the bait, and Solo then flounders for a second before picking the conversation up again. And it’s just an easier explanation than the black hole retcon, and rooted in character rather than complicated mechanics.

5 Likes

What’s heavier, a kilogram of steel on Mars, or a kg of feathers on venus?

4 Likes

It depends. Are you asking for “the weight of a kilogram of feathers,” measured on Venus, or “the weight of a kilo of feathers-on-Venus” (like the weight of a kilo of sliced-turkey-on-rye)?

2 Likes

Mass =/= weight. right. right.

1 Like

@AcerPlatanoides got it in one.

1 Like

Sorry, the point was about silly questions, not they mass not being weight thing. Of course, we all know feathers won’t be feathers for very long on venus, so clearly its the steel.

3 Likes

I don’t know, it’s not like the feathers are going to burn, what with the atmosphere being mostly CO2 already. I guess any water content will quickly evaporate, but will that be high in the feathers’ structure? Depending how one gets the feathers to the surface, I’d imagine any voids in the feathers would repressurise fairly quickly without much disruption. There’s sulphuric acid in the atmosphere, as I recall, but I don’t know what the concentration or distribution is.

2 Likes

You’re not using this example?

3 Likes
3 Likes

There’s something like that on the script page.

In the revised fourth draft of A New Hope in 1976, the description for “Kessel Run” is put as follows:

“It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!”

Ben reacts to Solo’s stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation.

So it implies that the puzzling speech of Han Solo is “misinformation” and not truth, and it has nothing to do with the nature of the Kessel Run in any respect. Han means nothing other than impressing Obi-Wan and Luke with pure boasting. Indeed, even in the final version of the script, the parentheses attached to Han’s line state that he is “obviously lying.”

I have my doubts. I’ve always figured that Lucas didn’t know what a parsec was, and if enlightened, he just assumed nobody in his audience would know either, and just assume it sounded like some intergalactic measurement of time. And then later covered his tracks to make Han look like a dipshit rather than himself.

In any case, Ford just plays it straight, not like he’s a stupid lying liar who assumes nobody else in this cantina full of interstellar-traveling aliens knows how to measure distance.

Source.

3 Likes

<JOKE
Man, I’d love to talk to the VFX artist who helped them fake that on the sound stage!
</JOKE :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fish.

1 Like

If you check some of the skeptics argue that Nasa couldn’t have travelled to the moon, because the first stage doesn’t have enough delta-v, and the spacecraft always turn horizontal during their launch, because they’re actually travelling beyond the ice wall [actually Antarctica], where Admiral Byrd had seen vast lands [of ice].

If we accept this premise [if], isn’t it possible that Nasa staged these expeditions to convince the public that they were going to the moon, and the informed public that there were only low-gravity airless wastes beyond the ice wall?

1 Like

A crayon and daddy’s wallet if he keeps giving us the third degree.

5 Likes

O.o ? Not sure I’m ready for the flat earth solution :slight_smile:

1 Like