What the president of Y Combinator learned from interviewing 100 Trump supporters

Yeah, here’s the thing, I remember this:

And I remember the response it got, the pure hatred because she had dared call some supporters racist, just because some were saying racist things and cheering racist policies.

This is the between-the-lines from these fair-sounding responses. They apparently mean stop calling out any racism, stop being outraged about what happens to anyone but them. Join them in pretending the world has no white privilege, there are no violent attacks coming from the right, the KKK are not there cheering at these rallies. Abandon all ideals but theirs, and yeah, they might consider us on the same side, maybe.

I stand by what I said before on this: this movement keeps making itself so horrible that it can’t be treated with anything but contempt or at least patronization, and then tries to blame people who won’t treat it with enough respect. It’s a deliberately impossible standard that doesn’t actually give us anyway to improve things, just serves as an excuse to hold the left at fault.

If they believed in the things were ostensibly asking for, they had enough people willing to offer it. This is just insisting on a pass for bigotry. To hell with it.

44 Likes