What to call residents of each US state

Nubcockian?

12 Likes

No, the capital city is

Hint: its not Edward Ice

7 Likes

Hopefully, the use of Texians will abate now. That one really irks me.

Laughing… good description.

Not born in RI, but grew up there and long since left the state (though I go back a lot to see my family). I’ve met Rhode Islanders like that too; even worse than your example, I’ve met people born and raised on Aquidneck Island (Newport) who had never left the island.

I still miss Buddy, though. I’ve tried to channel his toupee, but not had a lot of luck.

5 Likes

They’ve opted for Floridian instead of Florida Man/Woman.

8 Likes

I’ve heard “FISH” used from time to time.

3 Likes

USonian is a lousy etymological hash. I’m a United States of American, or American for short. The full name of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos, so they are Mexicanos for short, or Mexicans, in English. In some circumstances it may be appropriate to call people from North and South America Americans, but we have called ourselves, and others have called us, Americans since before the republic was founded. Are people from Guatemala frequently calling themselves Americans? Is this really a source of confusion? No, they are not and it is not confusing. That is why Americans will never adopt it. Is SI the metric system? I’m all for it.

5 Likes

Just go w/ Jayhawk. Good and safe.

4 Likes

Beats the Bushwackers, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

They missed a “t”. They’re Connecticutters. Make eye contact and they’ll Connecticut you.

7 Likes

Zonan
Arkie
No-it’s-Or-uh-GUN-ian

4 Likes

As far as I know, the term “New Yorker” only applies to people from the City.

8 Likes

Nobody in Mississippi is a Mississippian (of course the two GOP senators from Mississippi would never admit that):

I hear “Michigander” more than “Michiganian”, and then you gotta mention “Yooper” for the Upper Peninsula folk.

While the orthography of “Missourian” is correct, it is pronounced “Missouran”.

9 Likes

All I know is that I’m a Philadelphian - not a Pennsylvanian.

10 Likes

You have to remember to drop the r; it’s “mā’nə”

As in, “you shoulda seen some of tha fuckahs that were up at moxie falls, that’s a real fahkin mainah pool.”

8 Likes

Actually, the entire planet should adopt the even more sensible base-12 Universal Unit System. SI is so passé—UUS is the metric system of the future! Until then, I’m content with the American system and its greater number of divisors.

2 Likes

I swear we had this exact same thread sometime last year or the year before. Same points made. Am I in the Twilight Zone?

4 Likes

Speaking of Michigan.

People from the Upper Peninsula are called yoopers. People from the lower peninsula are called trolls by yoopers 'cuz dey live under da bridge.

(The Mackinac bridge)

9 Likes

Kansas is so flat that topographical maps double as pool tables.

6 Likes

Wait a sec, why did they change Hawaii? It says right there in the heading that the list is for ‘designating the natives of a States’ so Native Hawaiian would be right as it has nothing to do with residency and all about where you’re from. If you reside in Hawaii but you were born in Texas, you’re a Texan. Or are we just now mixing the two?