What would a new US civil war be like?

Yes. It is a shame.

Yes. We’re all equally human, we have the same motivations/drives/emotions. Why should a civil war here be different?

Also, https://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/45.php occupies more and more of my thoughts these days.

5 Likes

No. The Civil War was a war with two regular armies naval forces and even balloons. The civil war kn Colombia and central american nations were conflicts with guerrilla forces, militias and foreign agents.

3 Likes

I think we’re both actually in agreement on all of that, and I just worded my comment poorly.

3 Likes

Excellent point, and I’m sorry for the painfully obvious oversight on my part.

4 Likes
1 Like

That was a great series.

1 Like

Better safe than sorry though.

I read it a long time ago. But the depiction of the new civil war impressed me a lot.

There is no such thing as ‘safe;’ that’s just an illusion we invented in order to make daily life tolerable.

23 Likes

And just like that, the South loses half of their weapons.

2 Likes

I am not talking about resolving major political problems, I’m talking about self defense on an individual or community level. While they are in a very small minority, the fascists and white supremacists exist and they are violent. And they are emboldened and will themselves resort to violent means. I also believe that they are cowards in their core, and if there was a demonstrable, visible cultural shift of Liberals and Progressives “gearing up” as it were, they would pipe down, real quickly. So maybe in fact it would help with the bigger picture too.

1 Like

Twitter is going to get a lot of clicks… Going to have to start a pinterest board about avoiding swamp foot while on the march. Will ones instagram feed capture the war esthetic?

War is hell, even with the best social media game.

2 Likes

They tried it with the Articles of confederation and it really was a disaster. They changed it in less than a decade. I don’t know if the nature of modern globalization would change the game, but at the time, it just didn’t work out.

7 Likes

In my case it’s less fantasy and more nightmare, and I don’t even live on the same continent.

5 Likes

Actually, black Americans have been treated as second-class citizens since Reconstruction ended and Jim Crow laws were enacted. We don’t learn a lot about what happened after “Lincoln Freed The Slaves,” but it’s a sorry story of stripping black citizens of most of their rights until Federal legislation was passed in the 1960s.

7 Likes

Yes, it’s a continual struggle. In this context, even though there are millions more of us than there are of them, actual preparedness for physical struggle is important. That’s the distinction I am making.

1 Like

Ultimately, I do not think it would be a civil war with battle lines drawn between states. As was mentioned above it would be more or less a social civil war based on rural vs urban geography.

The issue with this (and its terrifying to think of it)…is that it would be more of a civil unrest situation than a civil war. The result would be a massive swing to a police state (not the one some people think we live in today…a REAL police state). Whoever is in office at that time would be able to declare a complete authoritarian control on the country to quell the constant state of strife.

The chilling thought is…maybe this is what is happening right now, because that has been Bannon’s plan all along.

8 Likes

Good luck with that. Your climate isn’t going to be livable much of the year by 2100 if carbon levels aren’t capped.

3 Likes

That’s a good point, I neglected to recall that bit of history. Like you said, given the current globalization who knows how that would change things for us.