What would a new US civil war be like?

If you read up on the collapse of the USSR, it was basically due to creating a similar situation:

I suggest reading up on the proposed “Union of Soverign States” (which never happened due to the '91 coup) and see if you can see any parallels in modern America :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I came here to say essentially this. People think racists are concentrated in the South. Wrong. Look at Idaho, rural Indiana, upstate New York, northeastern California, etc. The left/right divide in this country is largely urban-rural. One correction, if I may – many rural counties all over the country are already living with"third-world conditions." That’s one big reason many of them voted for our Flim-flam Artist-in-Chief. The hope that he would improve their lives somehow.

I don’t know what Civil War II will look like, but it will be exceedingly ugly and lengthy. And if it happens, I’m not sure I want to bother trying to survive it.

Please, for the love of God or whatever good thing you believe in, let’s all do what we can to avoid another stupid war with the guy across the street. The last one seems to have settled very little. We’ve got the monuments to prove that.

15 Likes

Maybe they could go south again…

But this time I am not sure if they would be welcome…

4 Likes

Ask the people around Malheur whether they want the land use changed. Same goes for all of the items on Trump’s “turn these private” national monuments that have been examined to date.

There are a few people who want to cherry-pick parts of the National Forests for themselves, and they throw a lot of weight in the legislatures. Ask the hunters, hikers, campers, fishers, tourist industry, etc. and you get a strong and very different answer.

5 Likes

This totally sounds like my kind of book.

But is it gonna leave me with a America! F Yeah! or a Aww crap. We’re doomed?

I was enjoying The Man In the High Castle but now, with all these real Nazis around…meh.

2 Likes

yeah, what’s the matter with kansas?

3 Likes

My dark-skinned friends might disagree with that. They and their ancestors haven’t had it good for the past 50 years, but they’ve had it better than their ancestors did for the previous 100 years and they in turn had it waaaay better than their ancestors before the war.

6 Likes

Should I be Frank?

5 Likes

I’m ready!

For the sake of the US American population lets not hope the peacekeeping armies are going to behave like the US military abroad - wedding drone strikes, Abu Ghraib et al.

6 Likes

I doubt there will be a new civil war in the U.S., and especially not one divided along state lines. What I do see if a UBI of some sort isn’t implemented and some environmental remediation isn’t put in place is a deepening of the divide between urban areas and rural/exurban ones. You’d have the relatively affluent 20% of the population and their guard and service labour living in expensive cities and inner suburbs, which will be heavily defended from the remaining 70% or so of the population: a resentful and angry precariat/uneccessariat living in zones most affected by climate change.

While I agree with the rest of your post, the liberal attitude toward gun ownership (including liberals who do own firearms) in this case boils down to the fact that if liberals have to resort to firearms to solve a political problem then they’ve already effectively lost.

12 Likes

Sigh. Let’s not even fantasize about it, ok?

First off, there would not be neat battle lines like in the past. You are not going to have whole states leave the nation like before.

2nd off, the number of people that rabid to actually start a war is relatively small. You aren’t going to mobilize the vast majority of people who are decently happy with living here. It would be more likely as series of domestic terrorist attacks.

Kansas was one of the states that helped lead to the civil war by voting to be free. They did so with blood, fighting pro slavery militias before the war began. See Bleeding Kansas.

It also was home of the “crazy” abolitionist John Brown, who lead a daring raid at Harper’s Ferry to try to steal guns for use in attacking slave owners.

14 Likes

Note this:

Brazil was the largest importer of slaves in the Western Hemisphere and did not abolish slavery until 1888, the last country in the Americas to do so.

3 Likes

At least until the rural towns start dying off, and forcing people to move to more populated areas.

5 Likes

A civil war would be would be horrible. Also, you would need to consider all the strategic locations, such as these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_and_the_United_States#Weapons_production_complex

4 Likes

Whereupon the next eight generations will blame the damned liberal elites for driving them from their ancestral homelands, where living was easy and they all lived like kings.

9 Likes

Nah, Texas won’t join the fight with the south. Texans have been looking for an exit for a long time now. We’d just form our own nation if the chance presented itself.

6 Likes

If there’s anything that sparks an urban/rural civil conflict, that’s what will do it. Uncontrolled mass movements of populations under duress (economic, climate, extermination, etc.) has the high potential to lead to a hardening of attitudes on both sides – that’s especially true of one or more sides are armed.

5 Likes

Southern AZ (southeast specifically) would most likely break off from the main state and just reconnect with Mexico, with ties to southern Cal or maybe NM depending on where that all falls. We already differentiate ourselves as Baja Arizona.

1 Like

Don’t want to ruin it, but it’ll be more of the later. As it is in most cases, no one really wins in a war. The story mainly follows viewpoint of one character, Sarat, an how she grows up and gets involved in the war and her affect on the people around her. People do terrible things, on both sides, to support their cause.

If you want another story that will make you sick, but at least gives you faith in humanity when finished, read ‘Making Bombs for Hitler.’ It’s a book for Tweens, but it’s serious enough that I had to read it before I let my 11 year old daughter read it. It brought her to tears several times but I feel it was good for her to get some real history in the form of a fiction book. Kinda the same story with ‘Boy in the Striped Pajamas’ Both these books are fictional stories taking place during a non-fictional war. ‘Making Bombs for Hitler’ gives you some insight into how things were along the Eastern front. It’s a quick/simple read based on the target audience, but still a great story.

2 Likes