What would happen if you opened a plane's emergency door mid-flight

“1988 when a section of the airplane’s roof burst open.”

This led one comedian after that happened, to say,

What’s with the seating on flights these days. I don’t mind coach, it’s the patio seating I don’t like.

I was on a virgin flight orlando to LHR in 2009 and was sat next to the door because of my circumstance but if there is a gap in that door guys you die from freezing to death never mind you can open the door…

Isn’t the simpler answer, “because the doors are open” ?
Of course it’s depressurized if the doors are open…is there really some crazy open-door-yet-pressurized plane out there?

1 Like

Except why is the door open? Because its unpressurized/flying at low altitude to begin with.

1 Like

7 Likes

The main hatch on the Apollo lunar module was a simple piece of sheet metal with some structure to stiffen it and held in place with a small catch. During decompression the crews would often try to peel a corner of the hatch away from the structure to let the air out faster. Interior pressure did most of the work of keeping that hatch closed, and there is at least one instance where the water vapor escaping from a pressure suit caused it to slam shut when it was supposed to be open.

1 Like

Presumably the freshest air is at the front.

1 Like

3 Likes

The slow boarding process does, however, allow time to inspect the plate affixed to the edge of the door, which shows the plane’s date of manufacture. I always look!

2 Likes

Yeah there’s a possibility that’s true. But the tail section has the saving grace that it’s the most survivable part of the aircraft in the very rare event the aircraft collides with terrain during the slower phases (takeoff and landing) of the flight. Hint: over-wing is the least survivable part of the aircraft for two reasons: first the over-wing under-fuselage has less crumple zone because of the fuel tanks and landing gear bay, and second because of closer proximity to burning jet fuel.

Actually its canon that the TOS era shuttlebay didn’t have forcefields to hold air in and had to be repressurized after being opened.

TNG and later shuttlebays you’re right, though!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.