Woman declares she is god, attempts to open airplane door while in-flight

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/06/woman-declares-she-is-god-att.html

To open a cabin door in a pressurized jet is pretty much impossible for a mortal human. If she had opened it by herself there would be a strong case that she’s telling the truth.

51 Likes

She’d have met her god, anyways.

11 Likes

mere mortals just dry their underwear.

15 Likes
13 Likes

Come on haven’t we all at one time or another …[reads story] … nope, that’s just crazy. Good luck, lady.

8 Likes

How does that work? The door opens outward, I would think the higher pressure inside the plane would help push it out.

1 Like

Finishing a book of Very Hard Sudoku puzzles will make you feel all kinds of powerful.

P.S. I do hope she’s ok and gets the help she needs…

10 Likes

To add some numbers here, airliners operate between 7.8 and 9.4psi[1]. An airliner door is 1.07m x 1.88m[2]. So the door is 3117.986 square inches. Total weight on the door is between 12.2 and 14.7 tons. Aircraft doors are designed to sit in a flange on the frame, so you have to push against the air pressure to open them.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_pressurization#Mechanics
[2] http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/commercial/airports/acaps/777-9_Prelim.pdf

6 Likes

Airplane doors open inward first then hinge outward. The shape and pressure differential pushes the edges of the door against the frame making it impossible to open when the cabin is pressurized. There is about 1000 lbs/square foot pressing against the inside of the door.

21 Likes

Apparently it’s beveled inwards so the pressure pushes it outwards still. There’s something about a “complex hinge” that lets it rotate to some orientation that lets it swing outwards.

5 Likes

Passenger Door

If you watch how the doors are opened, they actually go inside the cabin and then rest against it. Notice the flange on the outside of the door where it will mate with the cabin frame during flight.

6 Likes

And this dear children is why you do not mix alcohol and ecstasy.

7 Likes

I’m thinking Ambien is a more likely culprit. They really ought to list apotheosis under the possible side-effects.

27 Likes

That being the case, why not let her have her fun?

(I kid)

13 Likes

Someone has been taking Ghostbusters too seriously…

13 Likes

On the other hand, if she actually is God, and United is God’s chosen budget airline, it might go a long way to explaining why United feels free to treat their passengers so badly. When you’re Divine, everyone looks like a sinner in need of punishment.

8 Likes

Stopped at the very moment of her apotheosis

5 Likes

Poor woman. I hope she gets the help she needs.

7 Likes

The biggest danger is probably her breaking the handle off, and even that is highly unlikely. That said, letting someone who has lost grip on reality free reign to do whatever they want is usually not the best policy.

There is probably no need to press charges against the woman, just get her some help. Nobody was in danger and we can all have a good laugh about it.

4 Likes