What would Musk's free-speech absolutism look like on Twitter?

Sure, but the defamation law in Singapore is not something to emulate. The UK tightened up some of its libel standards, and I think that was a good move on their part

And the US supreme court has made murmurs about putting commercial speech on a equal footing with other forms of protected speech.

2 Likes

Because assholes want to be an asshole online with no consequences, in part to keep the world as they like it, which is under the control of a few white, wealthy men.

9 Likes

Yep, that’s usually the case. Like Warren Buffet (I think) said, the first lottery you gotta win is the Ovarian Lottery. And it just keeps going from there. Luck is more important than near anything else.

12 Likes

There is. Using Tweetdeck helps a lot when I’m on my desktop but I have so many advertising accounts blocked that I actually don’t see ads on my phone that often anymore.

5 Likes

Whether you personally followed Trump or not the fact of the matter is that his Twitter presence was a huge factor in building up the visibility and fanbase that made it possible for him to win the Presidency.

If Trump had been held to any reasonable standard of content moderation from the start there is a very real possibility that the MAGA movement might have never taken off in the first place. These policies affect us all.

18 Likes

Let me phrase this differently: Germany and some other countries will have the opportunity to get a little calm.

GIF by Giphy QA

13 Likes

Well said, I agree.

4 Likes

My facetious comment was apparently not seen as to be facetious. So it goes. I use Ublock Origin and a Pi Hole. It’s a moot point anyway, I’ve kept my Twitter account but no longer log in there. It was not good for my mental health to log on there in the morning and immediately want to rage at the morons. I’m keeping my ancient four-character username there in the hopes that someone can turn it back into something worthwhile someday. Yeah, nothing to be done for it, I’m a hopeless dreamer.

Though I am not so much of a dreamer that I even hope that the answer is Elon Musk.

6 Likes

That seem like a non-sequitur. I never suggested such a thing.

1 Like

It’s difficult to conceive of a free speech regime that doesn’t have some exceptions. But it’s the size of the exception that matters.

Oliver Wendell Holmes managed to eviscerate Schenk’s right to free speech while musing about fire alarms.

2 Likes
15 Likes

And, not just Europe: Canada, Australia, NZ, Japan and 30 other countries:

6 Likes

It’s obvious Trump gets his account back if Musk takes control, right? Is there any possibility Musk wouldnt give it back?

And surely, if given it back, Trump would post. Despite all the noises he’s making about how he wouldn’t. (That lying is his signature move; you can always tell how much Trump wants something by how categorically he denies it.) How could he resist returning to the salad days of blasting 10 tweets a day to 88 million people and having at least one make the evening news? How can he not want his account back in time for his presidential campagin?

7 Likes

100% correct. And even if you didn’t follow him - even if you BLOCKED him - the people you did follow were constantly talking about him, retweeting him, etc, etc. There was no way to get away from the toxicity he brought to the system.

10 Likes

tl;dr – fascists and white supremacists and ultra-nationalists are happy with Musk’s purchase not because of his supposed free-speech absolutism but because they know his willful ignorance of Popper’s Paradox will serve their ends.

10 Likes
9 Likes

Wow… the folks at the Atlantic sure are sharp as a tack and on the ball!.. /s

mike yard no shit GIF by The Nightly Show

4 Likes

That feeling afterward is your great grandfather saluting you from Heaven

That’s my grandfather, actually… damn Gen Zers…

10 Likes

Wow, this sure puts to lie any claims that he’s a libertarian. “Any and all cultural aims must go through the government” is not a claim I’ve seen any libertarians make, ever.

7 Likes

Yeah, mine too. My paternal grandfather served in WWII. He didn’t talk about it, or really almost anything else, very much, but he did not have anything good to say about Nazis. That sure seems like a low bar for praise these days and yet there we are.

8 Likes