What your phone texting hand position says about you

I thought that dialing random numbers with my butt was a special talent. It’s not.

2 Likes

16 Likes

Uhhh, like a previous poster, I use Swype, so I never need two hands.
This is a silly infographic…BoingBoing? Why post it?

1 Like

Also, “touch tone telephones” as something only old people would remember – I suppose rotary phones would be something only supercentenarians would remember…

2 Likes

what if you use something another appendage that is not your nose or finger? What does it say about you then?

1 Like

Or Bun E.

4 Likes

Thankyouverymuch. Now I feel old.

1 Like

Not sure for typing, but for fingerprint-unlocking a dick can be reportedly used.

1 Like

That’s just available for the one app, so you can invoke the safe word while hand-cuffed.

3 Likes

Hey!!!

My first phone number was a word followed by 5 numbers.

1 Like

Neat. Like out of film noir: “Operator, I’d like Alpine 44315” and so on. When did those go away?

I was pleased to discover when I moved to Hollywood in 1991 that my phone number was actually HOllywood 7-4144. To this day, a lot of phone numbers in the Hollywood area of the 323 area code begin with a 46.

1 Like

And then there’s the Nisha call.

1 Like

Rotary dial phones are well within the life experience of semi-centenarians :blush:

2 Likes

At least it wasn’t ‘three long rings and two short rings’.

1 Like

My parents had one into the 90s. Rented it from British Telecom the GPO for decades.

Which I think was only the second phone the house had ever had. Apparently the one it replaced was a real museum piece.

2 Likes

As a subway rider during rush hour in an area with cold weather, nose controls are important.

Of course, the rest of the time I’m using my physical slide out keyboard (which still works even with my gloves on) so I have no idea what that says about me.

In Chicago, sometime in the 60’s. Pretty late in the 60’s, I think. I can imagine that smaller towns might have kept up that convention longer.

I also worked in a geographic area still so remote in the mid-1980’s that the phone numbers (as long as you stayed in the local exchange and didn’t need an area code) were only two digits. The wheels of modernization grind more slowly in some places!

1 Like

One of two things:

1. You are keeping up with the young folks better than the average of your age group, at least in this one way.

2. You spend a lot of time around kids or people younger than yourself, so that you prematurely classify yourself as “old”.

Yes, this! We had our rotary phone until 1979. Touch tone was like MAGIC after that.