Whatcha Listening To?


#1

I don’t believe we have an auditory equivalent to the Whatcha Readin’? and Whatcha Watchin’? threads yet, so this thread is for the discussion of new or obscure podcasts that you think other mutants would dig, but they may not be hip to yet.

I’ll start: This morning I just stumbled across a multi-part audio play called “The Message” presented in the form of fictional podcast called “Cyphercast.” The podcast tracks a team of cryptographers who attempt to decipher an alien transmission broadcast to Earth 70 years ago but soon realize that it has “The Ring”-like implications for anyone who hears the recording.

Compounding the problem dramatically is that audio of the transmission itself was broadcast the second episode and the podcast went viral after being mentioned on Boing Boing. Thanks a lot, @doctorow!


#2

Well on the music player right now Tom Waits and Crystal Gail - Medly from One From The Heart.
Podcast wise the two I have been keeping up with of late are Gilbert Gotfried’s Amazing Colossal Podast and The Greatest Movie Ever Podcast.


#3

Mostly politics these days:

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/trumpcast.html

http://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/politics-podcast/

But not entirely:

Although there is some crossover:

http://thewestwingweekly.com/


#4

Brian Cox, Robin Ince, et al., “The Infinite Monkey Cage”: http://bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w/episodes/downloads.rss

Neil deGrasse Tyson, Chuck Nice, et al., “Star Talk”: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/38128127/tracks

These are actual podcast feed links.


#5

Melody Gardot:


#6

I don’t do podcasts, but I do audiobooks insteads. Currently working my way through The Count of Monte Cristo.

So far, no signs of either cigars or sandwiches in it, but there’s a long way to go.


#7

My current top three aren’t exactly obscure, but if its new to you then that’s good enough for me!

Science for the People is a syndicated radio show and podcast that broadcasts weekly across North America. We are a long-format interview show that explores the connections between science, popular culture, history, and public policy, to help listeners understand the evidence and arguments behind what’s in the news and on the shelves.

  • In our time
    In our time
    Each podcast covers specific historical, philosophical, religious, cultural or scientific topic.It’s apparently popular, but in case you’ve never heard of it, you should give it a listen.

  • En caso de que el mundo se desintegre
    ECDQEMSD
    For the Spanish speaking mutants out there, it’s as if the bbs had been turned into a radio show. In space. With monkeys!
    Updated daily. Their upcoming year in review podcast is a good place to start.

Bonus podcast - It hasn’t been updated in a while otherwise I’d have included in my top three but there’s lots of episodes to go through in the archives:

  • Talkin toons with Rob Paulsen
    Talkin’ toons
    Rob Paulsen (Voice actor for: Pinky, Yakko, Donatello TMNT, IMDB) interviews voice actors. Hilarity ensues.

#8

Too cool not to share:


#9

I’ve tried to get into it, but I just cannot stand it. The comedy isn’t and the science gets lost. Monkey Cage is so much better.

Current subscription list (some of which are on hiatus, most of which have been mentioned already):

The Bugle
Friday Night Comedy from BBC Radio 4
The Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast
KCRW’s UnFictional
Kermode & Mayo’s Film Review
No Such Thing As A Fish
This American Life
99% Invisible
The Black Tapes
Futility Closet
Giant Bomb Presents
Hello from the Magic Tavern
The Infinite Monkey Cage
The New Yorker
Page 94: The Private Eye Podcast
PlayDead
Radiolab
Radiolab Presents: More Perfect
Reply All
Rex Factor
Richard Herring’s Leicester Square Theatre Podcast
Rum Doings
Tanis
Welcome to Night Vale
You Are Not So Smart


#10

Jerry Douglas, been blown away by his "American Tune/Spain"
Allegaeon (8 string metal \m/)
Newton Faulker for the singalongs


#11

Patrick Stewart played Jean-Luc Picard on a TV show.

Brian Blessed IS Jean-Luc Picard.


#12

Newst guilty pleasure (and “proof” that I’m not quite an old timer just yet… now get off my lawn.)


#13

I love about 85% of PMJ’s versions. The other 15% just don’t work at all for me.
This is a favorite.


#14

This dance vid:

Led me to seek out the original video:


#15

#16

#17

Timely and appropriate.


#18

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.