Whatcha Playin'? Continue?

For the remainder of the month Epic is giving away a free to keep game every day. Some will be good, some will be “meh” but they are all free.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/free-games

1 Like

I still need to play part 2 as well. I started to play the first one, couldn’t get into it with the dated control scheme, and then heard about the remake that is in the works. So my play order will probably be Witcher 2, Witcher 3 next gen (when it’s fixed), then Witcher 1 whenever the new one comes out.

1 Like

Sable is free today! I’ve been hoping to pick this game up for a little while. Japanese Breakfast wrote and performed the soundtrack.

2 Likes

I enjoyed what I played of it, but fell off. I should really get back to it - the music is great, the story is interesting and the Mobius inspired art style is really good.

I was playing it on Gamepass so I guess I should grab it now!

1 Like

The whole Saints Row series is really weird.

It started off as a serious off-brand GTA and was fine, but unremarkable.

Starting with 2 they just threw out the rule book and decided to make it like a goofy version of GTA (still serious at its core, but with many elements of ridiculousness at the margins — sort of like the Yakuza series).

3 just said fuck it and made the whole thing just packed to the core with over the top everything making one wonder how it could be topped.

Somehow, 4 managed to the outdo ridiculousness of 3 by blowing up Earth in the opening minutes, and having most of the game to take place in a VR simulation run by an evil alien overlord, where rules of physics and logic need not apply. (Not like 3 cared about these things so much, but the “simulation” aspects of 4 just dropped any pretense of reality.)

One thing that Saints Row has always been notable for is its inclusiveness. Starting with 3, its character creator let you do just about anything you want. Voices, body types, and outfits aren’t gendered so you can create just about any kind of body you’d like for your protagonist, wear anything you want, and you can change at any time. If you want to be a non-binary, short, overweight, purple skinned, pansexual, and rainbow haired protagonist that wields a gun that shoots dubstep records, Saints Row 3 and 4 has you covered.

4 also had a nice inversion of the arduous Mass Effect-style romance side quests (where you’d have to put in 10s of hours of effort with a single character to get “rewarded” with a soft-core sex scene that’s all NPC gender and protagonist gender dependent), you can just ask any of your crew of any gender if they wanna do it as many times as you want. (And they are all cool with it.)

Anyway, well worth it especially as a freebie. I recommend playing 2 and 3 as well if you like 4. Also check out the new one that came out this year.

The latest Saints Row that came out this year is kind of a buggy mess but still really good. It has all the heart of the originals along with all the signature ridiculousness, but is tiny bit more grounded in reality. There’s no dildo bats or dubstep guns, but still plenty of weird stuff including a whole LARP side quest that can spill over into the main game. (If you “kill” someone with a LARP weapon outside of the side quest, they have to play dead even if they are random NPCs.)

2 Likes

A demo is now available of the First Person Savior

Trying to see if there is an Evil path

2 Likes

I really want to play this, but I’m worried it’s going to be one of those things that starts with me trying their free game and ends with me living in a tiny room on a big boat and signing a billion year contract.

1 Like

I am giving it a shot - the power of Christ compels me. I will post how it goes - it’s downloading now. An astounding 14gb, for the demo

1 Like

Holy gigabits!

1 Like

Death Stranding is free today on the Epic Games Store!
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/death-stranding-directors-cut
Merry Christmas!
ETA: They seem to be having some technical difficulties at the moment, hopefully it will clear up later today.

1 Like

Got a child a Steamdeck, she’s super into manga and anime. Any suggested games?

I’m not much of a gamer so I’m no help. Also general advice. Like I think you can load Epic Games as above?

1 Like

Isn’t the Steam interface just running on a Linux desktop which you can switch to quite easily? Bearing in mind i don’t have one, but i believe it’s a relatively easy, if convoluted, process to add the launcher to your library and open it from there.

3 Likes

Yes, at this point you can get the Epic Game store working and Microsoft game streaming, but not actual gamepass games.

As far as anime games for the steamdeck the Danganronpa series works great on steamdeck and is a fun, challenging mystery with interesting characters

2 Likes

She has Danganronpa! That’s her jam totally.

1 Like

How old?

Vampire Survivors is a lot of fun, mindless bullet hell roguelite, although not anime.

There’s the Cold Steel series for JRPG, as well as the Tales series, both have a very anime feel.

3 Likes

So, Coral Island, out in early access on Steam is a neat looking Stardew-like, but in 3-d, with gorgeous graphics, and a large, inclusive set of Islanders and dating possibilities. I can’t recommend it right now - the access, it is too early. But what is here has great promise. I will be update as it develops to a point where it switches from interesting to fun to play

I mean…(and this screenshot does even include Raj :heart_eyes:

ETA: oh hey what do you know! It’s also in early access on Gamepass, so you can try it there if you like!

2 Likes

I just lost 3 days of my life to Vampire Survivors. It is so much fun. I don’t normally go for that style of game, and looking at screenshots didn’t really pique my interest, but I gave it a go because I kept hearing good things here and elsewhere, it was on sale, and because Christmas. It should come with a warning label, though. May cause short-term compulsive gaming.

2 Likes

Yup, ditto. I wasn’t sure I was going to like the game, but I played it a lot once I actually tried it.

I got it via Game Pass, before it supported trophies, played it a lot, then stopped for a while. When I opened it after trophy support was added, took 15 minutes for all the trophy notifications to stop showing up.

FYI, there’s some DLC for it now, although I haven’t tried that.

3 Likes

I love it a lot, but it still makes me feel bad to play it. Not while I’m playing it of course, just when I come out of a fugue state after 8 hours…

3 Likes

Yeah! I think I finally understand what you meant with your “garbage person” comment at the beginning of this topic. It’s so easy to spend SO much time on. And so satisfying. It’s like the video game equivalent of popping bubble wrap. If popping bubble wrap sucked me in for an entire day and made me question my choices.

I picked up the DLC, but haven’t played it yet. I’ve been scratching the Unlock itch in the main game so far.

1 Like