Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Best opening titles ever:

8 Likes

Oh, and how could I have forgotten the short but pitch perfect…

4 Likes

American Gods

3 Likes

Ryan Gosling Reaction GIF

2 Likes

Has the topic suddenly shifted to title sequences?

9 Likes

Sorry Comedy Central GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

2 Likes

Worth it!

The first two eps of Hawkeye were, indeed.

1 Like

Rose McIver from iZombie

2 Likes

Three episodes in. John Cho is perfect as Spike Spiegel, but the show lacks a certain…je ne sais quoi that the original had in spades. Still, very satisfying to watch and full of beautiful set pieces.

3 Likes

He certainly does a great job, and I’m sure it’s just my age showing, but I couldn’t help but wish Isaac Hayes could have been in that role.

1 Like

I enjoy it if i take it on its own merits but it ain’t a patch on the anime of course, not that i expected it to be really. I’m up to episode 6 but episode 5: Darkside Tango has been the highlight for me so far and i do enjoy this version of Jet from Mustafa Shakir, even if there are some frustrating changes to the characterisation - i’m not quite sure what’s gained from making him high energy and a stressed dad. To the design - i think the scenes on the Bebop really work for more, the set is great, but when they’re in various craters on different moons inevitably the lack of budget shows and just can’t match the lovely CG shots so it just looks like a backlot.

3 Likes

I understand that it’s based on a British show. The use of adult humor saves it from being bland. I especially liked the episode when the ghosts heard the expression “ghosting” and felt it was pejorative.

2 Likes

Obviously Ein is the standout character from this and such a good boy.

scratching cowboy bebop GIF

5 Likes

So if I haven’t seen either one I should go with the anime series?

2 Likes

Did you notice that the hula-hooping girl from those credits appears in the credits for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt?

5 Likes

Ein is always a good boy!

5 Likes

Shocked Face Wow GIF

3 Likes

It was indeed disappointing. My kids liked it well enough, but they weren’t exactly clamoring for a rewatch like they did for basically every other Ghibli film that specifically aims for kids.

For the sake of comparison, I read the book shortly after. There’s surprisingly less to it. It’s one of those books that was published on the merits of the author but not of the book itself.

1 Like