Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

The Get Down got cancelled

If only we had some sort of excellent comic book version of the origins of hip hop to read in its place.

6 Likes

Fuck sake! Day ruined.

I hope someone else picks it up even if it means less location shoots. I’ve always found the way they portray the sensorium experience a bit confusing anyway.

1 Like

Is there any gossip that Netflix may be trying to reposition themselves as a less-inclusive network? Ditching shows with minority themes to make it more white-right friendly?

Well, OITNB is still going strong, so there’s one indication that’s not necessarily the case.

I sure as hell hope not, though…

1 Like

Their confusing statement seemed to imply that they have “too many” hits, and thus they feel they should cancel some. Which is an odd thing to say. The show is preposterously expensive to film at ~$100 million/episode so “It was too expensive to keep going” would have been a much more understandable statement.

3 Likes

I believe that is per season. Still more expensive than GoT by $20m.

1 Like

Oh you’re right. $9 million an episode. I misread that. The Get Down is slightly more, and The Crown beats them all at $130million/season and they’re renewing THAT.

1 Like

The leftovers - extremely satisfying finale. I’m gonna miss the show that nobody seems to be watching anyway. For shame.

1 Like

Found a list of Person of Interest shows that are the core of the AI arc. Everyone has said it gets good but there was real bad writing in S02E03 I watched last night. John is being held for questioning with 3 other suspects of who’s the Man in Suit. Yet they let this suspected assassin out of interrogation into the prison yard for exercise? That’s idiotic, but wait, it’s the prison yard with other prisoners he knows? Where the fuck would that be? He’s supposed to be at police headquarters, no one gets interrogated at Rikers where these would be if they’re being held for trial. Then the female cop is questioning one of the suspects and he jumps up and chokes her. WTF? Procedure is, as anyone who has EVER seen a cop show knows, that prisoners are handcuffed to the table in interrogation rooms for just this reason. That table didn’t even have the loops for the handcuffs.

I hate writing that insults the intelligence of the viewer, particularly in the police procedural that has been beaten to death. I won’t even get into the NYC geography, I realize no show honors that, the Marvels are really bad.

1 Like

Has anyone checked out Patriot? Dark, weird, funny.

1 Like

Rewatched all of LOST recently. While I really liked the show originally I enjoyed it much more the second time around. This is a show that’s so deep in myth and lore to process and unpack that being able to binge watch is actually a good thing. One of the problems with the original broadcast was having to wait weeks or months between episodes and obsessing over every little detail. Being able to binge watch basically allows you to just enjoy the damn show.

And contrary to the haters nearly every question really was answered or could be explained - I think the primary reason people got so pissed is that the answers weren’t what they were hoping for.

3 Likes

Just finished the 5th season of OITNB; I have a bad feeling Jenji Kohan is repeating the same pattern that she did with Weeds, and that ain’t good.

2 Likes

Oh, jimmy! What are you doing:disappointed:

sympathy evaporating

3 Likes

Better Call Saul?

3 Likes

Yeahhh… the episode title is enough of a hint. It had to come and not just for him.

4 Likes

I haven’t watched the ep yet; I had a date.

2 Likes

Ooh fancy. How’d it go?

Apologies for the non-spoiler spoiler, mel. I can’t seem to stop doing that.

3 Likes

Pretty well, I think.
^_^

No need to apologize; you didn’t spill any deets.

Plus since this is a prequel, we all know right off the bat that it can’t end well for Jimmy once it’s all finally said and done, because eventually he fully becomes the Saul Goodman personification that we meet in Breaking Bad.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s true. I’m just extremely worried about what becomes of kim and even nacho. I like him.

1 Like

Eventually Jimmy crosses a line which forces Kim out of his life for good; that much is obvious.

I also like Nacho, but I don’t recall him in any eps of BrBa; so he either gets the hell out of dodge or something untoward happens to take him out of the picture well before Walter makes an appearance as a player in the drug trade.

3 Likes