Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

3 Likes

I’m watching the wheels go round and round.

1 Like

Jammed through the releases of HoC, OitNB, and Dear White People. Enjoyed them all, but OitNB seemed a little too meta and far from reality. About halfway through Saul S3, man I love these tales.

I finally made the connection that Mike was in my all time favorite movie - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension…it took me all of BrBd and 2.5Ss of Saul to match the familiar face…

1 Like

Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim are leaving Hawaii 5-0 due to a pay dispute, because they get paid less than the other actors - which leaves 0 Asian actors in the show.

I don’t watch it, but I did early on. They’re decent actors. They deserve better. I do hope this means a step up in a future project.

4 Likes

Sometimes people say they want to watch Doctor Who but they don’t know where to begin.

So I’m finally catching up with the most recent season, and I see that the producers have made a deliberate choice to simplify everything, give the Doctor a day job at a university, get rid of most of the supporting cast, and pretty much start over.

And thus I can’t imagine a better place for a new viewer to jump in than the beginning of the season that just came out this year, the one with Peter Capaldi, Matt Lucas, and Pearl Mackie.

Go for it. This is your chance.

4 Likes

I don’t know Grace park, but Daniel Day Kim was on Angel (which I’ve been watching with my daughter) and he’s great in it.

1 Like

This happens pretty regularly on Doctor Who. I’m LOVING Pearl Mackie! we just got the first half on DVD and thought it was fantastic.

I wonder when they announcement of the new Doctor is going to be?

2 Likes

The season finale was awesome and had some plot twists I didn’t see coming! We will have to wait till the Christmas special to see the new doctor.

2 Likes

Can’t wait until the second half of the season comes out, then. I do think they always announce the new Doctor prior to them showing up…

1 Like

well see him in context anyway.

1 Like

Minor ‘Doctor Who’ S10 Spoilers Ahead

This past series is what Capaldi’s run should have been in all along.

There were a few missteps. The monk series should have been two episodes and the Cyberman two-parter really should have been three to give the Missy/Master thing more time to breathe. We should have also had the oil lady following them around all series to have Bill’s exit seem less deus ex machina.

Both Capaldi and Pearl Mackie knocked it out of the park as Doctor and his companion. No moony-eyes. No Doctor going nuts and shooting off guns at people. No Ponds overstaying their welcomes. Just a space god and his human.

Nardole really grew on me too. I was sad to see him go.

Overall I’ve liked this series more than I have the show in years.

Capaldi is definitely my favorite of the modern Doctors despite a lot of really shitty episodes simply because I grew up with the “Crazy Uncle” characterization of the Doctor and he punched all the right buttons for me as a fan. I plan to weep ugly fanboy tears when he finally goes this Christmas.

5 Likes

I’ve been watching old episodes of Two Fat Ladies on YouTube,and two things strike me.

These are the original episodes from the BBC, so they are full length. I didn’t realize how much they had to cut them to make them fit into the US’ 30 minute, commercial laden format.

The other thing that surprised me was the casual racism and denigrating of everything not British, especially by Clarissa, but also by Jennifer.

2 Likes

Not really that surprising I’m afraid. Their whole selling point was how un-PC they were. Why shouldn’t that include the usual casual racism and xenophobia?

1 Like

wow I couldn’t make it more than 10 minutes… are they supposed to be that annoying? (at least they are annoying to me anyway)

No, you’re supposed to find them charmingly un-PC and refreshing in their love of lard and sugar and messy cooking.

YMMV of course. They are very much an artefact of their time, I’d say. Compared to other TV chefs at the time, they were different.

Also British TV has I think always had a bit of a not-so secretive hankering back to Keith Floyd. I suspect some TV executives thought these two could be ‘the next Floyd’ and I suppose they were right in terms of viewing figures, book sales, etc.

1 Like
3 Likes

I don’t know what that’s about, but I’m pretty sure I’m for it! follows Alton Brown on Twitter

2 Likes

I am thinking that newer viewers who liked this season might want to go back and check out the old-school episodes from the early '70s, with Jon Pertwee.

2 Likes

Similar levels of sass

1 Like

4 Likes