Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

The Last Kingdom

Haven’t seen it, and I can only recommend Vikings when it followed the travels of Ragnar Lodbrok.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s some crossover historically. Some of the descendants of Ragnar are mentioned (and appear?) in The Last Kingdom. The Last Kingdom is much later though, so the wildness is sort of sucked out of the narrative.

It comes across as a wink at those naughty Danes, a noble savage type thing, amongst the hypocrisy and corruption of early English royalty. The focus is mainly on the story of a united England, though.

2 Likes

The rulers of Wessex and Mercia (and their courts) were definitely full of both, if a fraction of the way they were depicted on Vikings is to be believed. :grimacing:

2 Likes

The latest ep of Lovecraft Country has me all out of sorts, but in a good way… and if I was going to do a costume this year, I’d totally be one of the creepy-ass demon girls…

Maybe next year.

5 Likes

Thanks and @aLynHall! I might add one or both to my list to watch at some future time.

But over all, Vikings Norseman is pretty funny. [eta] I’m confusin’ meself.

Looking forward to this at some point as well. I think I’ll probably pick up the book for Christmas this year.

4 Likes

Beltalowda!

9 Likes

Sir David is a god damn global treasure and despite being in his 90s and unlike that Michael Moore crap put out recently he at least ends on a note of optimism that we can turn this thing around.

So much better. One is a series that takes itself too seriously as being a historical document while not realising that its source material are not historical documents themselves but rather intentionally fanciful medieval literature. The other is a very self-aware comedy making fun of exactly that pompousness. I’m afraid I have to disagree with @Mindysan33 about the costumes though. Unfortunately they aren’t very accurate, but of course they’re also not meant to be so that isn’t really distracting.

As for The Last Kingdom: that one is more enjoyable for me. They’re trying a bit harder while at the same time not pretending to be what they’re not.

(For context: I actually study the Viking Age for a living (-ish…I’m more involved in the Norwegian Middle Ages at the moment but there’s a fluid border between the two))

5 Likes

w00t!
I do love that show (and the books it is based on). I have marked my calendar!

2 Likes
6 Likes

Who doesn’t like pie?

2 Likes

I’ve only seen the first episode so far, but if it’s any darker than David Thewlis’ gang last season…

giphy

3 Likes

DECADES (an over-the-air channel) is running a marathon of the 80s revival of Twilight Zone, and I’m enjoying it.

The story quality is variable from episode to episode, but I’d forgotten how well some of them turned out. There’s lots of stories from classic sci-fi authors, with quite a few well-known actors of the time. I still remember watching some of these when they originally aired.

7 Likes

Show runner Kripke shares about The Boys next season- plus a healthy serving on Stormfront’s denouement and life going forward. Not pleasant for her.

“ we thought was the appropriate poetic just desserts for that little Nazi!”

7 Likes

Gotta watch that season finale again tonight. There was a lot going on! :grimacing:

6 Likes

Hard to describe… enjoyed the first episode though. Episode one is on youtube, as well.

2 Likes

Im not sure how I feel about that S2 finale.

Strormfront should have died; I’m tied of weak ass half measures.

Also how stupid is the entire populace of that universe? They actually believe Vought’s BS stories about not being complicit?

And then there’s this: Hughie and the Boys were on the “america’s most wanted” list and never once did they try to disguise themselves while in public? No one ever dimed on them? When Hughie got wounded they took him to a hospital, like it was NBD…

5 Likes

There was definitely a lot of disbelief that required suspending.

I can see Hughie passing more easily in public - even with just a hoodie and glasses - but Butcher? That guy was trying to be recognized.

3 Likes

That’s a very kind way of putting it.

I like this show, but the flaws in the narrative are glaring…

Also I’m kinda afraid to see Jensen Ackles ‘out-asshole’ Anthony Starr’s Homelander - that’s one helluva feat, considering what a colossal asshole the character is.

4 Likes

I was also surprised that the Boys didn’t try higher grade weapons than firearms on the supes. Especially after they found out that they were crunchy on the outside- but gooey on the inside. No armor piercing ordinance? No anti tank weapons or slapping a shaped charge on someone’s back? No trying to shove a gun in someone’s mouth.

Certainly an eye shot etc after this week.

3 Likes