Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

I mean, glad you enjoyed it of course, and I’m sure others will enjoy it in Imax, too, it just ain’t for me.

3 Likes

Sometimes movies are just a paycheck. Sometimes they’re not.

3 Likes

Yes, goes back at least as far as The Rockford Files, with Angel, the anxious sidekick who tried to get free lunches by putting a cockroach in his salad.

3 Likes

That was worth 22,40€. Few films are as beautiful.

2 Likes

Praying I Hope GIF by The Paley Center for Media

5 Likes

Romulus?

Star Trek Privacy GIF by Goldmaster

8 Likes

I get the impression that the titular aliens will get a lot more screen time, because CGI and cheap rather than because good film making. I get pretty bored of jump scares quite quickly and I get out of immersion into a state of watching what they are doing, rather than what’s happening.

Could be wrong but that’s what jumped out at me. And again.

3 Likes

Says the director: “This movie better be great or the critics will ream-us!”

5 Likes

You don’t even need much in the way of CGI or sets if most of the film is in pitch darkness.

4 Likes

3 Likes

We have been watching the original Dark Shadows, and immensely enjoying ourselves.

Above found on this bloody delightful blog.

We laugh whenever the cue cards are in awkward places; the credits are messed up; a camera does ridic’ly speedy, ultradramatic pans and/or zooms; a line or lines are flubbed (it was filmed live with barely any rehearsal nor time to learn the lines); a microphone boom shadow appears (He suggested a drinking game - take a shot whenever there’s a boom shadow, but 6 eps must be viewed); an actor walks right into a camera’s shadow; etc etc. But we also gasp with delight when there’s a particularly brilliant shot, and love that the show took so many mad chances, paving the way for all which followed.

8 Likes

Extraordinary better get a third season. I really enjoyed what they did with the second season. In some ways I found it better than the first, even if I found it to be less fun overall (which is not a bad thing).

2 Likes

X-Men '97 is actually really good. A great continuation of the original series that also acknowledges that the viewers who grew up with it have grown at least a little bit since then. The characters get to do fun things with their powers and occasionally be the coolest versions of themselves. This will be a fun watch for the next 8 weeks.

3 Likes

13 Likes
6 Likes

Just to not echo people saying Shōgun is great: I tried to watch the first episode twice but the extreme sadistic voyeuristic violence made it impossible.

They may have tried to front load it to get the shock algorithm happening but I’m out and I would suggest that others who have a lower tolerance for extreme violence might want to just pass entirely without pausing.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I tried a few episodes of Blue Eyed Samuri but noped out fo the same reason. The violence seemed, when not outlandishly silly, gratuitous and boring to me.

4 Likes

I think that kind of takes away what made the movies so scary though. So much of the original Alien, like the original Jaws, is psychological horror driven by fear of what we can’t see.

6 Likes

In the original Jurassic Park the dinosaurs are only on screen for 15 minutes total, in the original Predator the alien is invisible until the end, in the original Terminator the robot looks like a person and its actual form is only revealed bit by bit…there might be a trend here…

4 Likes

For sure, you could even go back decades earlier to examples like the barely-glimpsed Id monster from Forbidden Planet (which was in turn an adaptation of Shakespeare’s The Tempest).

3 Likes