Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Bookmarked.

6 Likes

Started watching it as well after having read the comic.

I’m well aware that there’s some problematic material in there, but there’s an opportunity to adapt the show around it, or even to embrace it and use it as a jumping off point.

There’s a lot of great creative decisions in the comic, and as well a lot of great gags. “The monument to men? Which one is that?” “Which one do you think?”

Really excited to be watching it with my wife, who has just about 0 comic book experience. I find comic books are fertile ground for TV adaptations, because they don’t obey the same conventions as TV or Hollywood, which makes them feel “Certified Fresh” when they are adapted faithfully, warts and all.

Can’t wait! The novel (novella, I guess) is fantastic.

What a shame that Larsen couldn’t flourish further as an author.

Also that the article’s writer spelled her name wrong. :confused:

3 Likes

FWIW, I just finished the current new set of 4 episodes, and it seems to have rallied. Enough so that I’m excited for the next 12 episodes next year.
The first episode felt really off, the next, a bit better, and then they seem to have reconnected with the original mood of it. We’ll see.

3 Likes

It was very silly in a Looney Tunes kind of way but at least a bunch of characters didn’t get horrifically murdered every five minutes and i’m thankful we got the Thor with the character development we did in the MCU and not this version which would have gotten very weary. I’m really not sure it all hangs together but i guess you’re just supposed to go along for the ride.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to this… I think maybe there has only been one other film that I can think of that’s dealt with passing? Wasn’t there a film based on a Phillip Roth novel about a man passing as white?

yes:

I have not seen the film or read the book…

Can you think of any others? I’m probably missing something.

I’ll have to pick it up!

3 Likes

There’s also this one:

I vaguely remember it on TV when I stayed home from school due to illness. I wasn’t old enough to fully understand it then, but I remember how sad it was.

7 Likes

That’s one of my mom’s favs.

To this day, my family calls self-hating Black women who are trying to be White ‘Sara Jane.’

7 Likes

Oh, that was a heartbreaker! :sob:

6 Likes

Especially the end; too little, WAY too late.

6 Likes

Another classic about this topic is Pinky:

6 Likes

This is good too:

Can’t say I liked Roth’s The Human Stain. Something contrived abut it all, especially the ending. Meh.

5 Likes

This looks amazing!

4 Likes

I just started on the last season of Dear White People. I can’t say too much about the direction of the story, but the framing device took me by surprise. Didn’t expect to hear the story told by the characters in The Future where masks have become so commonplace that they are part of fashion, pandemics are common and ongoing, and quarantine/lockdown is something that can happen multiple times a day.

1 Like

It’s definitely a departure from previous seasons, but that’s the glory of creative artistry.

I’ve really missed that show, so it’s lovely to see everyone again, even if this is a totally new direction.

3 Likes

First two eps are out already; they’re on my queue for tomorrow.

Also I watched Free Guy.

It was WAY better than I expected; just the right of amount of silly.

7 Likes

Ryan Reynolds has been hawking potato chips in Mexico, and there’s currently a funny commercial where, (as a professional actor) he’s being pitched to star in said promotions, but also eating a bag of chips that are so crunchy he can’t hear what the others are saying to him.
Cut to the final scene with Reynolds in a human cannonball outfit, looking down the barrel of the cannon, questioning his agent if this is really what he signed up for. :laughing:

6 Likes

This looks promising.

ETA, I see it’s been mentioned elsewhere on the BB.

3 Likes

Just started. Already hooked.

3 Likes

Just finished the first season of this, really wish I could find the second!

2 Likes