Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Yay! Boo! Yay!

As for Jones not in season 3, I think part of his anger was that he had taken on writing for pretty much all of the characters of color, in addition to the acting. it seems strange he would not continue in that capacity.

I do hope he returns for Season 4, as he could play a significant role in the finale of the show…

5 Likes

I agree on the boo and the convenience of him coming back. Wait - he’s a fan fav? Let’s backtrack on that.

The show is going to depart significantly more from the source if that trailer is any indication - Shadow saying “I’m a god”?

1 Like

Oh yeah. Very much so. I’m reading a book on the Fenian Raids in Canada right now (cause it’s kind of a batshit story from Irish American history), but I might give American Gods yet another re-read again after that… I try to read it every few years, as it really is one of my favorites.

4 Likes

I still feel like this show would have been much better as a single season mini-series. They are engaging in Hobbit-level stretching of the source material.

1 Like

I got the impression, in the novel, that Wednesday was trying to recruit Shadow to be the new Thor

but like many of the book’s ideas that thread didn’t seem to lead anywhere

2 Likes

There is SUPPOSED to be a sequel, which very well could explore that… but Gaiman has been rather busy as of late with other projects (multiple Sandman thingies, Good Omens, etc). There was a short story, tho. Oh, and Anasi boys was part of the universe, too.

Also, I’ve never read the AG preferred text, which might include more resolutions, too.

2 Likes

Good choices. They almost kinda nearly did commit in Deadlock but then next episode the ship is Utopia Planitia fresh again! I’m a big fan of Robert Picardo’s doctor as well so episodes with him central i often find favourable. I was sort of following along with the tor.com rewatch and just watching the highest rated episodes but season 4 has really kicked it up a notch so i’ve been moving forward.

I also think that the episodic nature of Trek back then really does Voyager a disservice when the plot is crying out for a long story arc but so so much gets dropped by the wayside and rarely (Maquis) or never (Tuvix) mentioned again.

2 Likes

Yeah… no.

They lost me for good when they fired Orlando Jones; that show was already a hot fucking mess, narratively speaking.

3 Likes

Yep. DS9 managed to be the first Trek to have those overarching storylines, and I think the people who were doing Voyager wanted to go back to more episodic storytelling and abandoned that (other than the overarching getting back to the Alpha quadrant story). But it had worked well for DS9, so it was a mistake to abandon it.

5 Likes

It seems like Gaiman is indicating that they haven’t actually fired him (it was in the mess of bringing in the new show runner) and he’ll be back for season 4? But I’m not sure about that? He might not want to come back after all that happened, even if they want him back.

3 Likes

I dunno; but I won’t be watching, regardless.

1 Like

Yeah, it didn’t help when they would discuss the possibility of staying in one place for a while, only to reject the idea. The captain was usually made into the bad guy for insisting they focus on the mission to reach home. That was particularly horrible in Course: Oblivion.

Me, too. I really enjoyed his interactions with Kes. One day, I’ll get over Neelix getting better treatment.

2 Likes

Poor Jennifer Lien, so under-utilised. She was good when given the chance but did the writers just forget about her or something? When she leaves in The Gift you can really tell both her and Kate Mulgrew were getting genuinely emotional and then that leading to Mulgrew treating Jeri Ryan like shit…

1 Like

Liked for that. There’s so much batshit stuff going on, it’s like,. I dunno the expatriate Ukrainian air force in America.

I bailed on American God’s though, doubt I finished the second series. It certainly didn’t make enough of an impression on me to make it cohere in my brain. There were serious creative problems there. And even having Lovejoy Motherfucking Wednesday in it didn’t make up.

3 Likes

Six 20-ish minute episodes, so a nice little binge.
(Watch on BBC iPlayer, Hulu, or your favorite shady streaming site.)

4 Likes
8 Likes

Just watched the first episode of Norsemen last night, and couldn’t stop laughing! :rofl:

4 Likes

Al Fuckin’ Lovejoy Swearengen, you mean.

Al

I agree wholeheartedly though. Loved the book, he was an added draw. Hung in there, returned for the even more spectactular cast for season two (Peter Stormare, Cloris Leachman, William Sanderson, etc., etc.) and was still just not enjoying it. A shame, because there are spectacular bits, the visuals are awesome, but they don’t stitch together into a story worthy of them.

3 Likes
1 Like

Spoiler- spin-off happening.

We’re Living in the Dumbest Dystopia": ‘The Boys’ Boss on His Superhero Hit

Courtesy of Amazon Studios; David Livingston/Getty Images

Showrunner Eric Kripke warns, "It’s dangerous to train an entire generation to wait for someone strong to come in and save you.

4 Likes