Whatcha Watchin'?

Also, I still covet this - despite the Baker outfit being so terrible:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/222542023/femme-cosplay-based-on-the-sixth-doctor?ref=shop_home_active_3

Although the 4th Doctor might be a bit more professorial:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/295240623/femme-cosplay-based-on-the-fourth-doctor?ref=shop_home_active_17

4 Likes

Itā€™s not that I didnā€™t like Chris as the Doctor, I did, but it was a bit rougher than the later seasons. The writing wasnā€™t as tight and consistent (though that has been my complaint lately too), the production value was less with a smaller budget, and things like the musical score being bleh synths. It just took some time I think for it to hit its stride and fire on all cylinders.

Speaking of Trailer Park Boys, is it just me or is the guy who plays Jim Layhey an amazing actor? I mean, maybe it is because he plays drunk so often, but he is INCREDIBLY believable as a drunk.

Also, the guy who played Col Leslie Dancer should get into voice acting. He showed a hint of a good gravely villain voice.

Does anyone have a sense of what the real reason is? I mean, seriously, your dream job and you leave after barely sticking your toe in the water?

3 Likes

I think by the time heā€™s done heā€™ll have done about 40 episodes (over 4 years)? Seems to be about normal. Only the first 4 guys did hundreds of them.

3 Likes

The Expanse was back last night. I actually watched it as it aired.

Since last season I tracked down the books this is based on and find it interesting how theyā€™ve compressed the book events to make the series.

If Iā€™d read the books first, I may have been more sceptical, but I think they are doing a good job of tightening up the story.

2 Likes

I will agree with you there. The CGI was atrocious and it was all a bit clunky but thereā€™s something great about it.

Technically, it was my first Doctor so I have some major bias. As a lifelong Star Wars student (literally reading the Star Wars encyclopedia cover to cover) I vowed never to go that far down the geekhole. One day I decided to watch Dr. Whoā€¦just to see how much it sucked mind you.

Several months later I had a Tardis license plate frame and now my daughter writes ā€œBad Wolfā€ all over the place.

3 Likes

I used to fight my dad over watching Doctor Who on PBS vs the news. Iā€™d ingest anything thing that was sci fi - fantasy - or just weird.

4 Likes

Huh. I was planning on reading them before S2 but didnā€™t get to it. So youā€™re saying thatā€™s a good thing?

Iā€™m midway through the second book and I can see they have interwoven Book 2 events onto Book 1 events to move the story along faster.

As an example, Chrisjen Avasarala (UN Assistant Undersecretary of Executive Administration) isnā€™t in the First Book. and at the start of season 2 we are probably 80% of the way through Book 1. Book 1 ā€œresolvesā€ Eros (well from an Immediate threat)

1 Like

That would have been nice. My local station played them starting at 10:30pm Sunday night. My high school Monday mornings were pretty hard.

ETA and they edited the whole story into one show. So till midnight, or 1am for the 6 story shows. Then they started showing Red Dwarf after that.

3 Likes

No, from 10pm to midnight on Sunday was Dr Demento. Though I could goto bed a little early, recording the last 30 min or so for later.

4 Likes

Please take this conversation over to the proper thread, thanks.

That good, huh?

Iā€™m waiting until the weekend to start my marathonā€¦

3 Likes

I guess thatā€™s the freedom that comes with not having a huge reader base like LoTR or GoT that will freak if you mess with the timelines. The recent season of GoT benefited greatly from being freed from the books.

Are you Tome Policing?

6 Likes

Give it a name.

*lolz

Generally, Iā€™d rather ask nicely than flag anybody for being off topic in my thread.

:wink:

2 Likes

Nice. :smiley:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Obligs:

3 Likes