Whatcha Watchin'?

Okay, I’ve finished episode 4 of Luke Cage, and glad to get to the meat of the story now. It’s getting better, I think.

I thought the first episode was a little touch and go, because the banter for the “cute meet” between Luke and Detective Knight kind of made me want to throw up in my Cosmo a little bit.

Spoilers: Dammit! Frankie Faison’s out already! If ever someone deserved a long-running character arc in a TV show, it’s him.

3 Likes

I liked it. A good attempt to set up a series given the limited scope of the film (which I love). I think it could be good. Ed Harris looks to be enjoying himself.

OTOH, it wouldn’t be HBO without lots of gratuitous nudity and a rape, of course.

4 Likes

A day or two after my post, Jericho vanished from Netflix Canada. So I learned about the comics while looking for other options, will have to look them up once I’ve watched the remaining episodes. I’m loath to pirate and I’m loath to buy any media content from Apple, but those seem to be my best options barring a thrift-store sighting of the DVDs. Also, note to self: don’t get into something on Netflix near the end of the month.

I’d never heard of Rubicon, will keep an eye out for it.

1 Like

We’ve been watching Detectorists. It’s a little on the slow side, but what might turn some people off is exactly why we like it-it’s mellow, pastorale, sweet, laid back, a nice break from the usual fare. And a happy mutant angle is that it’s about a community who are passionate about a hobby the rest of the world thinks is nerdy and boring.

Other points for it include Mackenzie Crook, and if you couldn’t get enough of her in The Bletchley Circle (now there’s a show that really needed a couple more series), Rachael Stirling.

4 Likes

There’s a new episode of Lucifer on in a few minutes. Sure, it’s kinda cheesy, but it’s a fun cheesy. Tom Ellis can get annoying sometimes, but he’s having so much fun chewing the scenery that I enjoy watching. The supporting cast is solid. The plots are sometimes predictable as far as the mysteries go (since the devil has decided to escape Hell by going to L.A. and solving crime) but the metaplots tend to zig and zag in a delightfully unpredictable way. Gotta go watch…

4 Likes

I adore Lucifer; it’s my guilty pleasure.

Tom Ellis is all kinds of fantastic, which makes up for the cheeseball writing, IMO.

4 Likes

The UK Apprentice, because I have no shame.

And because the contestants are idiots that think they are going to get rich, not ‘celebrities’, and because Alan Sugar, laughable as he is, is no Donald Trump.

4 Likes

Just finished Penny Dreadful. I was hot and cold about it for a while (John Clare/Creature was just such an over the top proto-goth I found him hard to take seriously, I kept picturing and hearing him as Richmond, and I got a little weary of the near-constant vocal fry from almost every character) but I thought the 3rd season was really good. My only beef is that they didn’t come up with a new villain, instead relying on… wait for it… vampire. Again. I think they missed an opportunity to use some variation on Cthulhu, which would have been an awesome fit for the show. But I liked what they did with resolving Vanessa Ives. And it was a great concept for a show.

5 Likes

The new season of SNL has started, and this seemed appropriate…and funny.

3 Likes

I haven’t watched SNL since it was actually funny, as a complete package…

But this was spot on.

4 Likes

I might be tempted to watch this.

Shame it’s a ‘celebrity’ version, mind. I’d much rather a proper series.

2 Likes

Westworld really is a slow burner.

It’s okay, but so far I think I’d rather just watch the movie…

1 Like

Would Go 8-bit be child-friendly, or is it more late night in format? My kids (him 11, her 9) share my love of retrogaming and might like this, I suspect.

ETA: Y’know, that’s okay, never mind… I just remembered how unfunny I find most self-described comedians. Dara O Briain’s okay, but probably I wouldn’t be able to stomach the various guests’ gurning and shouting myself.

The guests are not all comedians and if the occasional fuck is okay for the kids they might enjoy it.
I really liked watching Rachel Riley totally kick butt at Street Fighter and she is definitely not a comedian.

ETA okay after reading through all the guests it is mostly comedians still it was more fun than I expected dunno if will have another season or not.

2 Likes

Just finished watching Lars von Trier’s The Kingdom, which we got from Netflix kind of by accident–there’s a U.S. remake called Kingdom Hospital, and that’s what my sweetie thought he was adding to the queue. It’s kind of a slow build, and then the last 15 minutes or so are :astonished: Actually this was just season 1, so eventually we’ll have to see how the hell they follow up that finale.

3 Likes

3 Likes

It’s definitely worthwhile to continue to the second season of Kingdom. In my opinion, it’s a bit of a step down in quality, but still quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, due to the death of a major cast member, there are no future seasons planned, so we’re left with some unresolved cliffhangers.

1 Like

Anyone seen the BBC version of House of Cards. Watching the second series of it now.

2 Likes

So far, The new Westworld series is to the Westworld original movie what the 2004 Battlestar Galactica series was to the 1978 Battlestar Galactica Series.

Granted, that could mean one extreme or the other to you…:confused:

5 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about Westworld just yet.

2 Likes