Whatcha Watchin'?

I am not sure I can watch either version after seeing the local redubbed version…

1 Like

My wife and I are watching Versailles, the European version. The US release has been sanitized to keep the colonials from getting the vapors. It is sort of Tudoresque. I am personally a bit anachronistic as a hetero white rural male, in that I enjoy historical costume dramas, especially those where some historical accuracy in costume and set design is paired with good storytelling. We have recently finished all of the WW1 nurse dramas, such as Anzac Girls and Crimson Field.

On the one hand, I remember being wonderfully creeped out by Yule Brenner as ‘the A.I. in Black’ in the original movie, and Ed Harris is NO YULE BRENNER.

On the other, I have some issues with HBO’s heavy handed focus on gratuitous violence and rape as “a norm” in their shows. There’s something that disturbs me deeply at my core about a character that was created specifically to be raped and murdered, repeatedly.

That Dolores achieves sentience and is able to finally defend herself at the end of episode three is beside the point in my opinion; as is the flagrantly obvious trope that the “humans are the real monsters here.”

Like, fucking duh; the monsters have always been us.

Come with something more introspective and thought provoking, already.

All I see right now is yet another show that contributes to the ongoing erosion of the concept of civility and respect being integral components of a healthy society… no matter how good the actors may be, or how amazing the set design and cinematography are.

12 Likes

So much this.

7 Likes

The new Black Mirror is available now, isn’t it? Should probably watch that…

4 Likes

I haven’t watched anything new in a little while but the most recent new thing I watched was Galavant. I watched all of it in one day. :sweat: It’s all y’all’s fault because I probably wouldn’t have caught onto it if not for BBS.

4 Likes

I still need to finish the last season of Black Mirror.

2 Likes

Watched the first episode. It was quite good.

1 Like

I posted about the pilot over the film thread… but at least while they last on you tube I am going through the episodes of It Takes A Thief because guest star fun and I like caper stories.

1 Like

I think this is highly ‘current events’ topical. Sure, we’ve seen similar, but this is a story about gaming. BSG tended to use artificial life forms as proxies for how humans use humans, “what is human”, etc., and I don’t think Westworld is about that, exactly.

When you turn people loose with content creation for games and sandbox environments, they rush directly to the rape and murder. Online virtual worlds end up being crowded with Gor and urban rape environments. Modding communities, well, ick. I think it is valid to wonder if we don’t want to make virtual worlds specifically TO make places where it is okay to do sick stuff, and what that says about us.

The world is so obviously an MMO. The recurring day, recycling to re-introduce introductory quests in longer questlines. Sure, perhaps the fact it is about games and not the old Blade Runner cliche may not be enough for some people, but personally I think they are asking a different question with this, With the sudden emergence of more realistic VR, etc., I think they are good questions to ask.

2 Likes

I’m not interested in conversing with you, thanks.

1 Like

No problem at all

2 Likes

Back on topic, is anyone watching Better Things?

1 Like

Welp, I’m not afraid of empathy and I’ll gladly respect anyone’s wish to not enter into any discussion for any reason. :smiley:

Westworld has exactly 1 episode to keep me. My takeaway from it so far is that both the hyper-rich and the park staff are really, really painfully boring and unimaginative’ Like, you’ve got all this cool tech and you’re doing what exactly? Ohhkay… :rolling_eyes: If it’s like a game, it’s being both played by and written by… well, if one of the park staff said “Actually, it’s all about something something games something” I wouldn’t be surprised.

The Walking Meh returned too and after 20 minutes, I envied Nope, Not Spoiling Here.. I get why they plotted it this way, but this ep in particular made FTWD look deep and fast-paced.

Still, Ash Vs. Evil Dead to watch tonight, which never disappoints and a double ep of MLP-FiM, which is my jam. :horse: :sparkle:

5 Likes

It’s interesting that the person whom I declined to engage was graciously respectful as well…

I think I fluv you for that.

6 Likes

It was a very good double episode.

I think they did an excellent job of keeping it tense the entire episode. I expected more of a “ripped off band-aid” sort thing where you learned the fate and it moved on. So I didn’t see it coming.

No - but that image has me intrigued…

Also watching Ash vs Evil Dead. I saw a still before I saw the episode where I was like - is… is that a merkin? And it was. And it had to be the funniest/most fucked up thing so far. Lucy Lawless is in more episodes, and Ted Raimi appears!

And South Park. While I sort of wish they weren’t doing another “everything is connected” season, it is still more or less spot on for Satire.

And while making my kids costume I started watching all the original Star Trek. I watched like 50 episodes, which means I spent 30-40 hrs on her costume. I planned to make some commentary about it later, but just some observations:

1. I thought I had seen all the episodes. But either my memory sucks (I usually remember everything once it gets jogged - or at least know if I saw something or not) or there are several I have never seen.

2. As if the weird monsters and aliens were not enough to love it as a kid, the COLOR is definitely what attracted me to this show back then. It is a stark contrast to the now puke inducing beige of TNG.

3. They may have made peace with the different races and nationalities, but “hubba hubba” sexism is alive and well :wink:

4. I am convinced now I found an inspiration for a scene in Star Wars that no one has ever put two and two together on. First off, I know Lucas is a Trek nerd. There was an early episode with Clint Howard, “The Corbomite Maneuver”. When I went to look up to confirm it was him etc, I saw a story where he met George Lucas and when first seeing him he said something like, “The Corbomite Maneuver, Episode 10, Balok.” So someone with this level of Trek knowledge surely has seen “The Immunity Syndrome” where Spock is suddenly stunned by sensing that a ship full of Vulcans was destroyed.

5. They certainly reused certain plots A LOT. Like very unlikely parallel development and aliens so powerful they are like gods and using time travel.

6. Not that many red shirts really died. I mean it happened, but not as often as the trope would lead one to believe.

7. The show WAS very diverse though, especially for its time. Aside from the regular cast, they had a good mix with guest stars and other characters, some in the back ground, and some as part of the plot.

9 Likes

Yay! My posting of Galavant videos was effective! The virus has been passed on!

3 Likes

Worth it, right?[quote=“nimelennar, post:141, topic:84100”]
The virus has been passed on!
[/quote]
Three seasons and a movie! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Redshirt Lives Matter, yo.

*lolz

I’m catching up on Ash this morning; I’ve had less viewing time lately, outside of work.

Yay for getting some ‘real life’ in my life.

5 Likes

Started 3rd season of Black Mirror.

Wow.

I started first episode and just wasn’t in the right mood to see what happened to the protagonist since i can’t expect a happy ending. so I’ll finish it later.

So queued up second episode and it was a little too creepy, so again, finish it later.

Back to Longmire for me tonight

2 Likes