Whatcha Watchin'?

Started that a few weeks ago, just into S02 now. Really enjoying it.

1 Like

Just finished Black Mirror. Good season overall. Consistent with previous seasons, and one episode in particular I would equate watching with self abuse. Sometimes I finish a show or movie and think ā€œWhy did I put myself through that?ā€ :grimacing:

Only one was like that this season though. Great TV, as usual.

I watched it on cable when it was out and it ended its cable run on a bit of a cliff hanger

Iā€™d heard NetFlix had picked it up and was going to resolve that ending and then by the time I noticed it again it had two whole seasons!

1 Like

Is there where I confess that the pilot episode of the series disturbed me enough to the point that Iā€™ve never bothered to watch the rest of the series, and have no interest in doing so now?

Even knowing that itā€™s composed of a series of stand alone narratives that other people rave about, I donā€™t care.

When they ā€˜cold openā€™ with forced pig fucking, thereā€™s nowhere to go but down, IMHO.

5 Likes

Ah, but thereā€™s a twist in the tail.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s what they all say.

7 Likes

I honestly can understand your position.

I mean, I know itā€™s supposed to be edgy, but it really pushes buttons.

I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but so far, it makes me feel all squicky

3 Likes

Personally, I have a serious issue with even the idea of bestiality, so that was the fastest way to lose my attention.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got the problem that I want to engage with people at this point to know what they see in the series, but my exposure to it in season one was so underwhelming, I donā€™t even remember details.

1 Like

ā€œWhatcha Watchinā€™?ā€

World Series. With the sound off. Sippinā€™ whisky. Playing guitar.

7 Likes

It is that time of year again, huh?

3 Likes

Sportsball time?

3 Likes

If it helps, thatā€™s by far the most distasteful episode, and IMHO should never have been the pilot. It turned a lot of people off right from the start. The rest of the series is better - some episodes are science fiction cliches, but most have interesting things to say about modern life. Even the pig episode was at its core a caution about governing by opinion polls.

At its best, the series does what classic print SF used to be good at, which is to look at modern society, especially in the context of technology, and extrapolate from there, musing, like Heinlein, ā€œIf this goes onā€¦ā€. It makes you think, which is more than your typical zombie/superhero opus.

I just watched the first episode of Season 3, which is a pointed look at our current social-media-based obsession with likes and reputation (hits a little close to home for a BB regular). The story may be a little over the top, but unless pink bridesmaidsā€™ dresses are a trigger for you, thereā€™s nothing in it to squick you out, I promise. Give it a try.

edit: To be clear, Iā€™ve only watched S3E1 so far. Watch the others at your own risk.

7 Likes

I have to admit Cubs and Indians has me paying attention.

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t, but thanks.

Once my mind is made up about a show, thatā€™s pretty much it.

I concur, wholeheartedly.

That does sound interesting & relevant butā€¦

I think bridesmaids dresses in general are a trigger for anyone with some fashion sense; just sayin.

6 Likes

Fair enough.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Why are they dressed as pink wafer biscuits? :confused:

4 Likes

Just starting Dirk Gently. Surprised I havenā€™t seen more buzz.

5 Likes

Not my wedding, not my torture devices.

3 Likes