Whatever happened to Alfalfa from Little Rascals?

And how!!

The real question, of course, is what’s Alfalfa’s Erdős number?

I’m guessing a three.

1 Like

Every time you link to the colorized version of It’s a Wonderful Life, a devil gets his horns.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Colorized??? Blasphemy.

2 Likes

I was against it when it first came out, but I’ve softened on it. I figure that some people are prejudiced against black and white movies, and if added cartoon colors will make it easier for them to watch, so long as the original versions are still available for the rest of us, then what’s the harm?

2 Likes

True, I suppose. Still, a lot of those films were shot with the light-and-shadow effects of black and white film in mind. Sometimes that gets lost with colorization, especially the earliest, klutzier attempts. As long as we can get the originals, it’s all good.

But yeah, some people disdain the old black and white films. I had to practically sit on my ex to get him to watch the Jose Ferrer version of Cyrano de Bergerac with me. Sure, afterward he said he liked it, but his general reaction to old movies was, “Black and white? Yuck.”

4 Likes

Those subtleties of black and white are lost on them anyway. My teenaged nephew admitted to me once that he pretty much thought that anything that came out before 2000 simply wasn’t worth watching.

Coincidentally, I haven’t spoken to him in years.

3 Likes

Hopefully your nephew grows out of it. :wink:

1 Like

Boo hiss. I even like silent films.

1 Like

IME, the issue with young folks and old movies is pacing. They aren’t accustomed to atmospheric setups that take more than a few seconds, or plots that take time to develop.

I love ye olde movies, but they are very different to modern cinema.

2 Likes

Thanks to Michael Bay, they want everything to be all splody I guess.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.