"Whatever" tops list of annoying words

I read your comment and then I was literally like, “Whatever.”

7 Likes

I don’t know. Sounds rather tinny to me.

Monty Python link.

I’ve always wanted to host a party wherein at some point in the evening i’d “drunkenly” go around to everybody in the room and tell each person what i love about them but starting off each one with “No offense, but …”.

9 Likes

Similarly, if you have to look around before you say it then you probably shouldn’t say it at all.

8 Likes

Good rule. I’d say same for if you feel you should whisper it.

7 Likes

Some Brit flicks that have characters screaming out RIGHT!! in anger (making me laugh out loud most times):

Excalibur (Ridley Scott)
Grown-Ups (Mike Leigh)
A couple or so Monty Python efforts

2 Likes

Also practically every sentence ever stammered by Hugh Grant on film.
(I’m just grumpy because I was forced to watch Love Actually yesterday.)

4 Likes

RIGHT!!!

2 Likes

Then this is for you:

1 Like

I shall investigate. thx.

Right.  

1 Like

1 Like

I hate “the new normal.”

1 Like

No offense, but this non-sequitur tastes of marzipan. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

8 Likes

I feel like I need to use that when I tell someone I love them. My love feels a bit like damning with faint praise or something. “I love you. Sorry about that.”

/Looks around
I made some cake.
/whispers
There’s still some left over.

10 Likes

Since I (for once) read the actual article, I note that this is the result of a telephone survey. What? Who answers their phone for surveys any more? Or participates if they do?

4 Likes

phone call: hello, we’re doing a survey about the most annoying words…

reply: Oh, whatever

6 Likes

I use “No offense, but” when I’m about to gently criticize a friend or colleague or a group they might fall into. For example, No offense, our country’s gone off the deep end…or No offense, but I didn’t think that movie was your style. Mind you I don’t use it often, but I do use it. That said, people who haven’t known me for a while seem to raise their antennae when I use that preamble because they’re probably used to it being followed by something asinine, but I still find it useful as a way to let someone know I’m not trying to be critical for criticism’s sake.

The chart @Melz2 posted is on point.

Again, good general rule, but I may check who’s in earshot before I even venture into certain topics. For instance, I prefer to discuss politics only in non-work company.

I guess the lesson is that there’s always exceptions that prove the rule. :wink:

2 Likes

Brilliant!