What's the best oil to cook with?

75Weight/90.

1 Like

Grape seed, walnut, or hazelnut. Itā€™s like Iā€™m taking crazy pills, olive oil tastes likeā€¦ Gah!!!.. Olives!!

ā€¦uh no it doesnā€™t.

a nice first press olive oil tastes green, like the way fresh cut grass smells, and earthy, freaking delicious with a bit of salt and fresh bread. om nom nom

What kind of olives and/or olive oil have you been eating to think they taste the same?

Nope. Nope nope nope nope. I have even pressed olives. They are a nasty abomination foisted upon us by our lizard overlords as a cruel, cruel joke. I would rather eat hair.

Edit

Gawd Iā€™m doing it again. Fish puns and olive oil are triggers for me. I canā€™t help it, and my therapist thinks it is funny, so he wonā€™t halp.

2 Likes

Your image wonā€™t load for me so I will just assume it is delicious wee nicoise olives om nom nom.

The best olive oil is from Turkey (yes I went there!) and its so light and green tasting i could eat with a spoon!

2 Likes

Hmā€¦ dry them a bit first in the oven with the barest sprinkling of salt for maximum flavor.

The good olive oil comes from the middle east, but I would never cook with it. The cloudy stuff has a very low smoke temp.

(I do use hyperbole when it comes to olives, it is one of myā€¦ Ticks :D. ā€˜Capersā€™ made from nasturtiums are insanely good though, so I might have some internal inconsistencies).

Oh that non-olive-note,I say Good Day!

Wait, if olive oil is made from olivesā€¦ What isā€¦ Oh god!!

1 Like

So I bought this Avocado Oil thing to work with. So far itā€™s just been pasta drizzle. Any idea how well it cooks?

Iā€™ve no idea why someone would loathe olive oil. Wonderful stuff and very flexible.

However I like grapeseed oil ā€“ itā€™s more neutral.

But my favorite is coconut oil. Then again, I like the flavor of coconut.

1 Like

Probably jojoba. Donā€™t cook with jojoba oil unless you want steatorrhea, though.

Relevent:

1 Like

No it isnā€™t and no its not. It tastes like garbage, burns in a heartbeat, and is proof god hates us and wants us to die.

1 Like

Quite well. It has a smoke point just above the magical 375F range, for honest maillard reactions.

Guess which oil doesnā€™t.

2 Likes

Some people just look for things to carp about.

2 Likes

You seriously donā€™t want to in-fish-iate this discussion.

1 Like

Hakers gonna hake.

2 Likes

Donā€™t whale about it when this starts to flounder.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to say exactly what I think about sea mammal puns in a fish discussion but my lips are sealed.

3 Likes