What's the best oil to cook with?

Olives and olive oil are wonderful things. Mind you I don’t notice the olive flavor unless it is like a first press/extra virgin thing or if I use it to cook eggs (ewww).
But I can forgive it cause you know I personally can’t stand yogurt. I even tried it again when the kid was a tot as it had been forever since I had some. Something in the taste that is just eww to me though whatever they add to make tzatziki makes it okay so some yogurt based things fine for me. I wouldn’t turn it down if I was starving mind you but if I had a choice I would probably pick something else.

As far as the best oil to cook with I go with it depends. I usually end up with olive oil and butter for a lot of things cause the wife likes Italian food. Bacon fat is the only thing to use for pan fried chicken though.

2 Likes

(This is phonetic)
Coel, yacanth get out of this so simply. You’ve cod to do better.

1 Like

You have the oppor-tuna-ty, and shad quit while your are still krillng it with these puns.

1 Like

As someone who eats olives by the handful and could (and has) lived on yogurt for days at a time, I’m not the one to criticize. But I definitely will agree that olive oil is not a butter substitute; that idea is just weird. It sucks for eggs, beef, and most chicken unless you’re doing something with oregano. Terrific for roasting veggies in the oven.

2 Likes

Surely you didn’t think I was just going to let you skate on that whale pun? Come down from that lofty perch.

2 Likes

My wife hates both you and me now. She is shooting, from her eyes, laser breems.

3 Likes

Why am I ALWAYS RIGHT and everyone else is ALWAYS WRONG. Schmaltz with lard for the first fry, peanut oil for the second. What is wrong with you people!?

1 Like

A woman of good taste, but dangerous. Maybe it’s time to skip, Jack.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Pressing olives is fun, curing them is fun, some day I will build a Roman style stone press for olive oil.

And Judge everyone that says it tastes good.

4 Likes

Now you’re just trawling. Don’t give in to your bass-er instincts.

4 Likes

Oh, to answer the question at the top of the thread:

Baby.

1 Like

So, no-one is going to talk about the illustration?

Two eggs or olives[I’m going via context clues and say olives] seem to be celebrating with a large bottle.

The olives are either Lone Ranger fans or possibly bandits/thieves having a grand time after a successful heist. One of the crooks is having a martini and cigar while the other is using the calculator app on his Blackberry to tally up the take[which is at least a cool thousand]

But I think it’s a whole lot darker than that.

I believe the two olives are body snatchers/cannibals. They lure unsuspecting fellow olives into stone torture devices, and count their blood/oil money as their screams pierce the night sky.

1 Like

Isn’t that what Olestra accomplished?

What would happen if silicone oil was used?

It’s from a rather sensationalistic NY Times exposé of olive oil adulteration practices, since debunked, or at least corrected.

1 Like

Yes, but it’s a cause and not a direct source.

1 Like

No Rational Actor would poison or kill their customers! How would they have return customers?

1 Like

Does anyone have any thoughts about oil deodorization?

http://www.oilmillmachinery.net/Oil-Refinery-Plant/Oil-Deodorization.html

http://www.gcmachines.com/oil-deodorization.html

http://www.oil-processing.com/PRODUCTS/Oil-Refining-Machine/Oil-Deodorization-Process.html

It seems like using this process to take out bad odors and make it possible to use rancid oil is not good for us, but I don’t have science to back that up. Just a revulsion that this exists. I try to use cold pressed olive oil and non-deodorized coconut oil.