What's the difference a budget and a top-of-the-line precision steel rule?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/23/whats-the-difference-a-budge.html

4 Likes

It would be interesting to test their dimensional accuracy at different temperatures. that might be encountered at a job site.How much difference is there between the measurements at 55° and 110°?

7 Likes

°C? Well, you stop getting any result from whoever is measuring at 110.

6 Likes

Which one can be cleaned without tarnishing and or rusting?

I have a nice stainless rule my machinist grandfather gave to me. I keep it oiled and consider it an heirloom piece.

8 Likes

I have a brass and wood folding yardstick of similar provenance. :hugs:

4 Likes

[quote=“mlemeut, post:3, topic:148258, full:true”]
°C? Well, you stop getting any result from whoever is measuring at 110.
[/quote]I was under the impression that the BIPM had deprecated the use of °C preferring just C.
edited to add. And I was wrong. It is Kelvin that is not written with a degree symbol. And I was referring to Farenheit.

Egads, kids these days with all these new-fangled words.
Centigrade was good enough for my grandpappy and it’s good enough for me!
(And get off my lawn!)
:grin:

3 Likes

Based on the number of vintage Starrett tools in our shop, I went with Starrett, no video needed.

2 Likes

No decimal inch? I’d be lost without my 6” machinists scale. Side 1 fractional, side two decimal inch.

Which one performs better at an impromptu workshop sword fight?

2 Likes

1 Like

For most machinists or carpenters, as long as you’re not building medical equipment there’s maybe twice in your professional life that you need a level of precision that justifies the extra expense. For everyone else, for 99.99% of the time, it’s “measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.