What's the difference between a pipe and a tube?

Bob Dole knows

1 Like

Put that in your tube and smoke it (and then eat some pipe streak. While wearing a pipe top).

1 Like

At a higher level, they’re all cylinders.

2 Likes

I want to know about more of these “weird sizes.”

Not if they are tapered :slight_smile:

Which makes me wonder, is a Klein bottle a pipe, tube or none of the above?

1 Like

Well, the next level up is a doughnut. Or a coffee cup.

I’d say a Klein bottle is a doughnut too, just in one extra dimension. But which side do you put the sprinkles on?

3 Likes

Bagpipe?
Seems like the words are somewhat interchangeable.vis:
Pipette
a slender graduated tube used in a laboratory for measuring and transferring quantities of liquids from one container to another.

No one ever says it’s time to pay the tuber.

5 Likes

No one ever lays tube.

1 Like

I just realised that tube is not a verb - while pipe can be.
You can entube - which does not describe a Londoner going to work via the Underground - but is a surgical procedure where a tube is inserted (I think).
Also, you can have a square tube but I am unaware of a square pipe.
There are bagpipes and piping bags. There’s also cord piping. It seems like pipe refers to the generally round shape.
“A pipe can be defined as a tube made of metal, plastic, wood, concrete or fiberglass. Pipes are used to carry liquids, gases, slurries, or fine particles”. It seems like we have to employ a tube in order to pipe something.

1 Like

One can also “pipe up” if one wishes to have one’s voice heard in a crowd.

2 Likes

tube | t(y)o͞ob |

verb [with object]
1 (usually as adjective tubed) provide with a tube or tubes: [in combination] : a giant eight-tubed hookah.
2 informal fit (a person or animal) with a tube to assist breathing, especially after a laryngotomy.

1 Like

The most important thing to remember about pipes and tubes is that the ID should be smaller than the OD.

2 Likes

doctor-who-its-bigger-on-the-inside

2 Likes

Or from a noisy engine room. I’d forgotten that Speaking Tubes were also used in offices - before the intercom and phone.

2 Likes
2 Likes

‘piping hot’
‘piped music’ (as in ‘piped in’)

1 Like

Tubes are tubular, whereas pipes do not have a corollary in 80s slang.

The guys at the local head shop might disagree.

This is not a tube.