What's the difference between a pipe and a tube?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/26/whats-the-difference-between-a-pipe-and-a-tube.html

6 Likes

They’re all hoses in my book!

8 Likes

So what is the difference between a pipe and a conduit?

8 Likes

I’ve never heard of anyone making a tube bomb.

Maybe the unabomber could have used this in his defense? “Well you see your honor these aren’t pipes, they’re tubes since they were purchased due to the specifics of their OD”

8 Likes

tube can be adjectivized, e.g. tubular bells, but pipe cannot…? the pipe, like the cheese stands alone (“back-formation from Latin pipare ‘to chirp or peep,’ of imitative origin”)

Obligatory:

10 Likes

Pipelike

4 Likes

This is amazing. What is it? I would watch a show about factory sales reps!

I’ll just leave this here.

Edited to add: Especially appropriate considering your handle.

6 Likes

This is Patriot, a two-season show about a NOC going undercover as a factory sales rep, but it’s actually a deeper dive into war, work, toxic masculinity, and father/son relationship dynamics! It’s awesome!
Oh, and folk music.

3 Likes

Tangential, but funny:

12 Likes
1 Like

Canneloni comes in tubes. No pasta comes in pipes.

According to Uncle Vito, anyways.

2 Likes

Etymologically, canneloni are “big canes” or hollow reeds. Canna can mean tube or pipe.

And now I want a canoli (not canneloni).

5 Likes

English was not Uncle Vito’s first language.
Neither was Italian, now I think of it.

4 Likes

My Uncle Vito Jones?
The Welsh postmaster?

5 Likes

To further confuse matters in Construction, round steel members are Pipe, and square/rectangular steel members are Tube.

Pipe column sizes are given by interior diameter, and wall thickness by designating “Standard” or “Heavy” Pipe. So if you order a 3 1/2 standard pipe column, it will have 1/4" walls, and be 4"dia and will not fit in the cavity of your 2x4 wall which is only 3 1/2". You’ve been warned.

Tube columns are easier to identify, typically designated like 4x4x1/4 HSS, which yields a 4" square hollow steel section tube with 1/4" walls.

2 Likes

3 Likes
3 Likes