What's the *dumbest* "science" based movie you've ever seen?

Going to troll a little and say the dumbest “science based movies” are all of the Marvel ones. Who was the 1st superhero who mutated to superpowers? Who thought of that? Superman just was, but all these guys getting basically poisoned and coming out the other end with powers, like that’s how poisoning works, right? Ever? At least the giant insects & bunnies etc of the classic B movies were germ line radiation mutations, that makes a little science sense. Radiation either kills you or it don’t, regardless of what mayhem it’s done to your nads.

1 Like

But intelligent design isn’t science. It’s not even science adjacent.

4 Likes

Well, Paddy Chayefsky wrote both the screenplay and the novel, but it’s true he may not have been the best choice. He had a lot of conflict with the director, Ken Russell. Russell didn’t like the script, but was contractually obligated to strictly adhere to every word of it without change. (At least, the dialogue.) He did his best to get around this stricture by having the actors mumble their lines around mouths of food, getting into arguments so that they shout overlapping dialogue at each other, and other tricks of that sort. This helps make the film seem more naturalistic (performance wise) but it does tend to obscure plot points.

I have read that Chayefsky actually intended the film to be a parody of the work of neuroscientist, sensory deprivation tank enthusiast, and dolphin buddy John C. Lilly, but the finished work didn’t generally strike people as intentional comedy.

Edge Of Tomorrow is Groundhog Day: The Unfunny attempt at an Action Movie.

1 Like

What the Bleep.

Fuck that pile of idiocy.

2 Likes

Either Namor the Sub-Mariner, mutant son of a human sea-captain and a Atlantean Princess or Jay Garrick (The Flash) from snorting hard water (later retconned to heavy water) vapours while on smoko.

2 Likes

The Golem?

I know.

My copies of Altered States and of Lilly’s The Mind of the Dolphin are neighbors on my bookshelf, in the “see what stupid things you read avidly when you were young and thought you were so smart” section of my library.

3 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of humans as raw material rather than mud. Supernatural transformations are magic, or fantasy. They don’t try for the veneer of science. Was Shelley’s Frankenstein the 1st to do that? Previous fantastical works I can think of like Gulliver or Dante’s Inferno don’t really try for science, they just “are”. Too bad Ben Franklin never tried writing SF, bet he’d have been good.

1 Like

You have no idea the party I was at last night, the fun I had, nor why I was temporarily naked on the Amtrak home!

3 Likes

I’m all ears! Any new tattoos?

No, I am too indecisive for tattoos.

I won’t derail by going into too much detail, but during some proceedings a boisterous transgirl in a lace body stocking loudly proclaimed "IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE! So perhaps the party was us in somebody else’s “dumbest science movie”. XD

1 Like

The title of the thread has “science” in quotes.

I rest my case!

5 Likes

Sounds like whoever is running this world simulation of ours got into the lab after having a few and wanted even more chuckles than we normally provide.

2 Likes

This is a movie I own, and that sometimes I have the insane urge to watch. Every single time, EVERY TIME, I think “Wow, I feel like an idiot for enjoying that.” It isn’t like a Harry Potter or Dr Who sort of “oh, who cares about the science, it’s supposed to be fun”, either.

It’s so… this is one of those feelings I am sure there is a word for in other languages but English doesn’t have one. I have no idea why I ever watch it. I will probably watch it again soon.

2 Likes

And much like the early crop of 3D movies from the 00’s, they were all terrible.

5 Likes

didja ever notice this bit?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 268 days. New replies are no longer allowed.