What's the *dumbest* "science" based movie you've ever seen?

Ta! Got it queued up and ready to play, once I’ve gone the shop for beer and painted the wall again.

Never ever being nostalgic again over a movie I vaguely remember, ever, ever, ever! ‘Some Kind Of Wonderful’, The Breakfast Club’ and Pretty In Pink’ Aside.

Space Hunter Adventures In The Forbidden Zone, with a young Molly Ringwold as well as Peter Strauss. Finding this one right now and bugging off!

wow that was well a movie. love martin landau and jack palance doing the crazy thing through the film.

2 Likes

Have you seen Alone in the Dark?

1 Like

I’m with adam savage on this one. Plot is COMPLETELY forgettable and not really noteworthy. Jawdropping visuals, Fairly good acting, and absolutely jawdropping music.

I want a movie about CASE and TARS. Seriously.

I put ‘The Net’ as worse than Hackers. Hackers at least you go in realizing fairly quickly it’s a popcorn ‘teenaers save things’ movie where the trappings are more for aesthetics and enjoyment. The Net’s whole premise posits you can erase someone so completely even their friends and family don’t acknowledge them. Back in the infant days of the web. After following a one pixle transparent gif link.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Altered States!

6 Likes

And Space Hunter was in 3D when that was very unusual. 3D was popular in the 1950s (Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc.), and obviously the (somewhat-fading) fad for 3D in the early 21st century, But 3D in the 1980s was rare. The only other 3D movie from the era I can think of was Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn

3 Likes

There was Treasure Of The Four Crowns which I think I saw in the theater (it may have been a trailer with Spacehunter too)… I dunno I saw a lot of dreck in those days that I have forgotten about.

ETA : Wikipedia to the rescue

2 Likes

Watched half of Edge of Tomorrow last night, and it’s a contender, didn’t know going in it was a time travel plot or I never would have done it. But it does get props for getting Starship Troopers better than the also awful one with that name, and for referencing the ‘Angel of Verdun’ for mil-hist geeks.

1 Like

ALL MOVIES are about time travel, otherwise they would have only a single frame, aka still photography.

4 Likes

You must be a hoot at parties. When someone asks you for the time, I presume you go into a speech about how you can’t give them the time, since their time is different from your time because they don’t share your exact space/time location, and besides, by the the time you could say it, it would be out of date.

10 Likes

Sort of kind of time travel. More time loop. Hunt down the book All You Need Is Kill. While I really liked the movie and making a good translation for a western audience the ending they wrote felt too hollywood happy for me. My other nitpick is he didn’t take up using the axe like in the book as the hero realizes why The Full Metal Bitch uses one.

A little unfair; Altered States can only make sense to someone who lived through and paid attention to the 70s. If I had a dollar for every conversation I was in about sensory deprivation tanks I had in the 70s, I could go off and live on a tropical island.

Plus, they chose the wrong screenwriter to make the movie out of the book.

2 Likes

Altered States I think works because the science is incidental,it is completely accurate on a personal/metaphorical level. Atavism features quite prominently in psychedelic and shamanic experiences, and making this explicit was IMO a good choice visually. It probably defies “suspension of disbelief” for people who take it literally, but it’s not that kind of story.

That could be said of MOST sci-fi, unfortunately. So much of it is other kinds of mythology with borrowed window dressing, so I don’t even consider it really being about “science” unless it does hard sci-fi badly, either through ignorance or being inconsistent within the logic of its own story.

2 Likes

How is time loop different than time travel? Do you save on tolls? It’s Groundhog Day with aliens and guns. At least GHD was unapologetic fantasy with a fable type moral.

Let me guess about the blade They only target users of projectile weapons? I noticed in the 1st battle scene his squad is wiped out fighting while he’s cowering and left alone.

Well in the book they only have a few rounds of ammo for close combat and the weapon is not necessarily effective while the axe cuts through them quite well and does not malfunction but takes some learning which of course our hero has a lot of time to do.

1 Like

I can attest to your first sentence, and chuckle at your second. :wink:

4 Likes

Has anyone mentioned Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed yet?

Because I think that one fits the title of this thread, and wins it.

3 Likes

Jaws-3D
Friday the 13th 3D
Comin’ at Ya!
Amityville 3D

There was a mini boom of 3D in the early 80s.

7 Likes