What's the *dumbest* "science" based movie you've ever seen?

Did you actually watch that? Even the trailers looked terrible to me.

Also, Now You See Me 2. Saw a trailer at Captain America, and all I can say is that it amazes me that in the year 2016, movie makers still don’t understand thing one about how the webtubz work. Will not be seeing that movie.

2 Likes

I miss the dollar theatres. There was a place in Des Moines called Billy Joe’s Pitcher Show that mostly ran movies for a buck or two, but served pizza and beer. Saw a number of stinkers there in the early 90’s, but who cares? Beer! It goes great with cheese!

9 Likes

I borrowed it from the library a while back. I just had to go back and look up the plot on wiki because I’d forgotten most of it. Just a really dreary film.

I’m trying to remember if Chain Reaction or The Net had much egregiously bad technical stuff in them, but those were essentially McGuffin chase movies, so perhaps that doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Still have at least one equivalent here in Seattle that is happily near enough to me, it is $4 now which is still lots better than $13+ depending on 3d/IMAX at the regular theater for most films.
The beer and pizza theaters here are full price. :cry:
Though there is Central Cinema which is more a revival theater. But they have good beer and decent pizza and you know you are in for cheesy fun on the screen.

1 Like

Those movies were made in the nascent days of GUIs for the intertubz. The infant-like understanding of how computers work was more forgivable.

1 Like

Sadly, (or thankfully based on this thread? :expressionless: ) never seen it.

Apparently Stallone was at one point going the star in Beverly Hills Cop. He rewrote it to be a straight (violent) action movie. It was given to Eddie Murphy instead.

Stallone’s version was turned into Cobra, and was mocked in Beverly Hills Cop II.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I save that one for the list of “worst computer movies”! But it’s a turkey no matter what genre you want to assign it to!

1 Like

I can understand, "Hey, this is a cool representation what’s going on inside of a computer because we don’t want to show you what the hackers are actually doing.

But when it’s actually what shows up on their screen?

8 Likes

Oh dear lord god Lucy was dumb. I mean, as a movie it had a lot going for it - it was exciting and shiny and fun to watch. But the abuses done to both science and common sense. . . in the voice of Morgan Freeman no less!!!

God, he talked so much, and he has such a great voice that’s so full of gravitas and I just want to believe every word coming out of his mouth - his voice is made for serious science documentaries - and they gave him a script where he talked 10 minutes of uninterrupted bullshit.

2 Likes

That’s my Loony! A regular Einstein!

Joey Travolta FTW

3 Likes

I loved Cobra!! I imagine I was laughing at rather than with the film, but it doesn’t matter. Whenever I’m drinking warm Coors and eating frozen pizza with the aid of scissors, I have Stallone to thank for it.

1 Like

News flash from the Department of Feathered Dinosaurs:

(sorry, but I couldn’t find a better thread to put this in):

Not only did dinosaurs have feathers instead of scales, but it now turns out that they didn’t roar.

Stop ruining my childhood, science!

6 Likes

The human centipede springs to mind!

2 Likes

Thinking about it a little more ‘Weird Science’ would be one of the worst apart from Kelly Le Brock making it redeemable for the very obvious reasons.

Has anyone come across a film from either the late 70’s or early 80’s that was a B movie and a similar story to ‘Predator’?

It had an alien killing folk and storing the bodies in an old abandoned shed, hung up on the wall.

It used a disc shaped weapon that was organic or partly organic that when it came into contact it grew long finger thick growths which penetrated the victim’s flesh in and out again until it killed them.

The demise of the creature came about with one of the intended catching one of these things and throwing it back at the alien, hitting him in the back where he couldn’t reach it.

It was a very crap movie and you never really got a good look at the alien but when I first saw ‘Predator’ I thought of this movie, I’d love to be able to find it and watch it again and can’t for the life of me remember what it was called, I’ve done a little research and had no joy!

4 Likes

This?

(never heard of it, just googled some of the stuff you wrote…)

4 Likes

Thanks very much, it’s a long time since I looked for it and can’t believe you’ve found it so quickly!

Don’t be tempted to buy it though it is really crap, but when I have mentioned a film similar to ‘Predator’ that I watched years ago, nobody has seen it and I’ve questioned my judgement over this film as to whether I actually saw it or dreamt it. LOL

4 Likes

Oh god Larry Storch is in it!
Guess what I am watching on youtube right freaking now!

ETA and Martin Landau! Primo schlock!
ETA more Jack Palance, Ralph Meeker, and David Caruso… Thats a lot of paycheck acting there.

9 Likes

3 Likes