What's the *dumbest* "science" based movie you've ever seen?

You mean I can’t suggest this?

8 Likes

Nope. File that one under “double fiction.”

2 Likes

Not technically a movie, but close enough.

I’d give you a thousand likes if I could! :heart:

2 Likes

That reminds me of the absolute dumbest “science” based movie I’ve ever seen:

My mom sent me the DVD because she wanted me to be “informed” (she’s sure Christ will eventually come into my heart and save me from that liberal Satan). I hate-watched it. It was dumb, infuriating, wrong, deceitful, and evil, with an added emphasis on dumb. Nazism, Communism, eugenics, abortion - all because of pointy-headed liberals teaching Darwinism and suppressing academic freedom.

13 Likes

3 Likes

Oh, you… you know he’s just being gallant! Don’t be coy, you know you love being put on a pedestal and treated like a lady (you know, instead of an an indidividual and a social equal to men)! Isn’t that what makes us ALL swoon!

4 Likes

Real Genius is a great film. Some of the sciency bits actually felt pretty well researched to me – like some of the things they were doing with lasers. Of course there’s numerous gigantic liberties taken with a lot of it, but it’s still a dumb teen comedy from the 1980s.

Plus, there’s Kent…

14 Likes

Dunno if you have seen this from 2011, but I’ve watched/listened through, and it adds a lot to my understanding of the movie:

NYFF: Buckaroo Banzai Intro + Q&A

Stars Peter Weller and John Lithgow and superfan Kevin Smith introduce W.D. Richter’s 1984 sci-fi cult classic “The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension” at a special screening during the New York Film Festival.

This has poor audio but better image quality (same event):

Kevin Smith’s SMoviola “Buckaroo Banzai” at the 49th New York Film Festival

With a bit of twiddling you can mute one and listen to the better audio, in sync…

NSFW: Smith is predictably profane, heads up in case you are at work or around wee kids.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/god-is-a-boob-man/3021131

(no, I’m not implying that it is science.)

2 Likes

And Smith wants to make a Buckaroo Banzai show, too, right?

Hmm. Could… be…

I would love to see Smith filming and writing for Team Banzai his way.

A series based on wonderfully weird 1984 cult science fiction classic The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension is likely coming to TV, courtesy of Kevin Smith…

The source of this unholy tidbit is Smith himself… MGM, a studio that found great success turning Fargo into a TV series. [saw to it that]… Smith was invited to discuss the possibility doing the same with Buckaroo Banzai. His idea:

“Basically you just do the entire movie for season one, then season two you finally do the sequel we’ve all dreamed about, Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League.”

Gaaaah!
That would be amazeballs, a term I learned here on the bOING.

2 Likes

I came here to post Sunshine if no one else had. It’s supremely annoying because it has the superficial trappings of something that is supposed to be more realistic. But the whole premise underpinning the reason for the film’s existence is just malarkey, and when they decided, with humanity’s fate in the balance, to go off course, at that point I just lost any care for what happened. I eventually sided with the monster; if this is how stupid we are, we deserve to go extinct.

3 Likes

Also, there was only one guy on board who knew how to turn the sun-fixing machine on? That’s just poor contingency planning, NASA.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to reviving this topic, but I really need to get this off my chest.

Does anyone remember Lucy (2014)? The whole movie revolves around the idea of, “What if a human somehow gets access to more then 10% of their brain at once?”, and during the film, there’s even a percent counter that’s displayed as new abilities are unlocked.

I know the movie itself is just trying to be a “smart” action flick, but when it starts with a dumb premise and just KEEPS LEANING INTO IT… really?! Bad enough that it’s just going to continue to spout the false information, but with every new tier of upgrades, it becomes more and more “LOOK WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE!!!111”. She goes from translating language on the fly in real time (without any previous markers), to being able to see “lines” of cell signals (because you know, all that wifi only works if you have line-of-sight to the sky and nothing like a cell tower), to unlocking force powers, into finally unlocking her final form…

[spolier]As a goddamn super-computer with all of the universal knowledge possible, able to distill all of this information into a GODDAMN USB2.0 STICK[/spoiler]

I had other issues with the movie as well, (ie, for a brain that’s becoming more “aware”, it’s acting very dumb with choices in regards with ending life and such,) but it all seems completely pale to the USB2.0 stick of knowledge. Even ID4’s “Let’s infect the mothership using Windows 95” seems more plausible as the aliens might not have used encryption for their signals. (dumb none intergalactic hue-mans, they must barely finally figured out about Algebra!)

But yeah, sorry for the wall of text but finally had to write out what was so frustrating about Lucy.

12 Likes

I had blocked that movie from memory. It was…not good. Thank you for sharing your rant so that others may avoid it!

3 Likes

Don’t be sorry. The thread is here for just that kind of rant.
Maybe it comes for the sheer number of films I have seen and the sheer number of awful ones, but I could tell from the trailer that was not gonna be a good film.

3 Likes

Now I’m glad I didn’t go to see that. I heard “10% of the brain,” spoken seriously, and I was like, “Aaaaaand, I’m out.”

6 Likes

Lucy was dumb but fun. I love Luc Besson’s stuff even when it is stupid.

How about Transcendence?

3 Likes

I shudder to think what awfulness lies lurking in my neurons. I went to found footage show (stuff in the basement/archive of a local non profit theater) and there was a clip of Stallone from Cobra and the feeling of oh god I saw that and actually paid money for it too was quite strong. The only good thing I can say it was at the time of the $1 second run theaters and I saw a lot of those 80’s action bombs there so I didn’t pay first run theater price for it.

1 Like