What's the story behind airport chapels?

Wow. Once again truth is stranger than (clunky, rapey, pedantic) fiction.

2 Likes

CNN Headline News wants to know if you’ll make an exception?

1 Like

Weird, the entire article seemed to fail to mention they’re increasingly used by muslims for the daily prayers.

3 Likes

Still hokum.

Thank you for your opinion.

2 Likes

Do they have power outlets? Asking for a friend…

8 Likes

Plus the Yoga Room. never forget The Yoga Room.

They have ultimate power outlet

7 Likes

3 Likes

Especially because at least one entry in that roster of distinguished prose had a long rant about the inherent worthlessness of collectivist fiat money as compared to the presumably not god given, but heavily assumed, intrinsic value of gold.

Seems a trifle heretical to exhibit a dead queen randroid under a US Treasury gift certificate.

On the other hand; I suppose it’s not much weirder than burying those who took the sword, and perished by it, as predicted, under crosses; and we do that a lot.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I didn’t know they built a new one.

ETA: My school was called Our Lady Star of the Sea.

2 Likes

I have one of those! I gave away my Virgin Mary one as a silly housewarming gift. Got them at a dollar store in the 80s, wish I had bought more.

2 Likes

Every time I use the restroom at MSP, I still consider the width of my stance. Actually, probably any airport.

In Taipei’s airport, the prayer rooms come in threes, one for Christians, one for Buddhists and one for Muslims. The Muslim rooms have prayer mats pointed towards Mecca, the Christian ones have pews facing a cross recessed in the wall (some with an altar and some with just a podium) and the Buddhist ones have a simple altar in front of a triptych or with a Buddha on it.

5 Likes

Let us not forget the Pastafarians!

4 Likes

I unliked this just so I could like it again.

1 Like

airport chapels

4 Likes

I proposed to my wife in an airport chapel, just before flying far away for a three-month work reassignment. Got a soft spot for 'em as a result :slight_smile:

8 Likes

And here I thought it was merely the extension of the idea of being a port, and most ports and harbours have a chapel for the seafarers. Just keeping up a centuries-old tradition that comes from placing your fate at the hands of the elements. So if there’s chapels at every seaport, then why not at every airport as well?

5 Likes

Years ago, I had to overnight in Winnipeg airport. I found an unlocked room meant for families with toddlers, put a couple of cots together, and went to sleep. Finally got kicked out by cleaning staff.

2 Likes