Bristol Airport's new multi faith shed is the zenith of contemporary British culture

Originally published at: Bristol Airport's new multi faith shed is the zenith of contemporary British culture | Boing Boing

7 Likes

i pray the whole country is a multi-faith area!

10 Likes

Wait, were previous shelters from the stormy blast segregated, or C of E-only? Is this part of a program to make washrooms and baggage lockers multi-faith?

So many questions.

10 Likes

I cant quite believe this is real. sure this aint a yesmen-prank?

4 Likes

This looks more like the bus shelter you would see in the airport long term parking lot, with a “re-purposed” sign from elsewhere on the airport property covering up the shelter designation sign. (eg Shelter “A”) as a reminder as to where you parked.

11 Likes

Seems entirely overly exclusionary of any mono faiths

8 Likes

You need the correct credentials to get inside.

15 Likes

I’m not entirely sure if this is more about British culture than the state of airline travel these days.

4 Likes

Thankfully it wasn’t a sunny day.

2 Likes

Do all the smoking sheds have those bollards or were they placed there specifically to avoid interfaith violence?

1 Like

Wonderfully British.
Pleasing none, failing all.

Kind of a post-Brexit motto for us.
:person_shrugging:

10 Likes

So, a pissoir?

1 Like

If I have to stand around in an airport car park waiting for a bus, that bollard placement wouldn’t bother me. Id just want about six more to stop some dickhead in a wankpanzer driving over me and it as we were in the “blind spot”.

4 Likes

It sounds like a false story (sorry) - Bristol Airport already has a multi faith centre on the Mezzanine Level of the terminal:

11 Likes

Hm. A multi-faith TARDIS: “Theological And Religious Denomination Interior Space”

12 Likes

As someone with a great deal of experience of sitting in meetings with decisionmakers at a large British public organisation, this sounds like it went as follows:

“Didn’t we agree to put a multi-faith area in somewhere?”

“We did.”

“Did we sort it yet?”

“No, and it’s due this week.”

“Put it in the most suitable available space.”

Then it was handed off to someone with those instructions and no one thought about it ever again.

9 Likes

It doesn’t seem like a Mark Thomas prank, those tend to be directed towards government or other institutional power structures.

7 Likes

Maybe it’s like The Asylum in Hitchhiker’s Guide (where the whole universe is a multi-faith space except inside that box). The sign is on the outside, after all. I do enjoy the idea of assigning one miserable little spot for bigots, especially one that reeks of red-eye farts and stale cigarettes…

3 Likes

Bigots don’t want multi faith spaces, they want only one faith space dedicated to Evangelical Christianity. That space will be called the United Kingdom.

4 Likes

I wonder if the interior of the space is marked to indicate the Qibla (the direction to Mecca) ? After all, Britain being Britain, the sun is not always identifiable.

3 Likes