What's the story behind airport chapels?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/09/whats-the-story-behind-airpo.html

2 Likes

Why? I’ll let MC Hammer field this one.

3 Likes

" a quiet waiting room filled with plants and lines of connected chairs"

Make every airport waiting room a chapel, sez me. No goddamn TVs, no goddamn phones.

12 Likes

note to self: good for conf calls on the road

5 Likes

I think most have been replaced with flight insurance booths.

1 Like

They’re not smoking lounges?

3 Likes

Great place to keep twenty winks whilst stuck in an airport.

2 Likes

Don’t know about the rest of the world, but here in Italy having even a mock “chapel” in a building makes it a “religious building” in its entirety, so that - if said building is owned by the Catholic Church via any one of its countless emanations - it becomes a tax-free investment for them.

1 Like

Airport chapels: where wide stance meets prayer position!

1 Like

These chapels seem like a nice free alternative to the frequent flyer lounges. The religious hokum could be used as a way to enforce the equivalent of the commuter railroad “quiet car.”

3 Likes

ps: some people are actually, really religious, and practice their religion in chapels, temples, and other places of worship.

2 Likes

I think I stumbled into Boston’s chapel by accident, I can’t believe it’s actually called "Our Lady Of The Airways."

1 Like

Well sure, but this is a case where it would be useful to non-believers who want a little quiet.

What’s the story behind airport chapels?

Airline endorsement of prayer as a way of assuring flight safety.

1 Like

A sermon would ensure the twenty winks…

2 Likes

There’s a lot of that sort of thing here. We have a chapel downtown near the harbor called Our Lady of Good Voyage.

5 Likes

Airlines assure nothing. You pray, you buy insurance, you have a smoke, and you get on your flight. If you get off again, and un-bloodied, then you clearly didn’t fly United.

6 Likes

Another thing you can find at SFO is a Christian Science “Reading Room”. WTF? I have walked by it dozens of times, the poor maytag repairman inside never has a single visitor.

2 Likes

The free crackers were awful, they’re going to suffer on Yelp!

6 Likes

Ayn Rand’s body lay next to the symbol she had adopted as her own - a six-foot dollar sign. Outside the funeral home, her followers, some in jeans and some in furs, stood in the cold waiting to pay her tribute.

From 7 to 9 o’clock Monday night, 800 admirers of the novelist and philosopher passed through the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home at Madison Avenue and 81st Street. Some wept as they spoke of her in hushed tones, and some glowed as they described how she had changed their lives.

Would you like to know more?

2 Likes