Irish national carrier's annual Blessing of the Planes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/24/irish-national-carriers-annual-blessing-of-the-planes.html

3 Likes

Is “on a wing and a prayer” a feature now?

6 Likes

Okay, I know, cars.
But a) I couldn’t find a “Jesus, take the yoke” and don’t have the time right now to make one, and b) this one of my favourite scenes from a film (not a favourite film, though; shot in 3-B if you know what I mean).

4 Likes

Luckily, Father Des Doyle is doing the blessing, and not Mrs. Doyle, who would throw tea at it then harangue it down the runway with a litany of “go on, go on, go on, go on”

5 Likes

15 Likes

Ya know, I always thought Aer Lingus felt a bit ‘churchy’.
Now I come to think of it, the microscopic ‘drink’ they serve with meals on transatlantic flights must be holy water.

It’s the only rational explanation.

1 Like

The article doesn’t state the concerns. . .

I did five seconds of research, and found that it was just that they had recently changed procedures:

“Due to recent changes to security protocols, airside access is now restricted to airport operations only,” a spokesperson for DAA, the airport’s operator, tells Euronews Travel.

It is not unusual these days, even if you’re not performing a religious service in a country which has recently seen some . . . Troubles over religious differences, for access to be restricted to employees and official business only, and to require security background checks, safety training, and legal liability and/or insurance waivers before letting someone into such a restricted area.

In one place I worked, outsiders were required to submit at least a week in advance a background check form, proof of identity, fingerprints, retina scan, and proof of completion of four or five online safety and security briefings as well as the usual statements of work to be done and proof of business insurance in case of ‘accidents.’ If a priest wanted to bless the servers, they’d have had to go through the same routine, vice an executive making an exception.

I’d guess its the same deal here: the safety/security site manager said "Nope, its against these new rules for him to even be on-site, and he’d have to wear steel-toes, a retro-reflective vest, hearing and eye protection . . . " until someone way above him said it was actually OK, we can make an exception for this one event.

Considering flying these days, we’ll take all the help we can get!

3 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (2)

5 Likes

The FAA should do a double blind study on this safety practice.

5 Likes

If it could be proven that it worked, it wouldn’t require faith. Checkmate! /s

5 Likes

Aircraft politely kneeling as it receives the blessing.

1 Like

Weight savings? :wink:

1 Like

Don’t spare the Holy Water on the Boeings!

3 Likes

Best not to tithe, though.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.