What's your alignment?

I got the idea for this from this comment on this post: Fox News just now figuring out Trump: "Bullying journalists is not presidential"

Being a longtime AD&D player, as well as a player of other gaming systems, I’m pretty familiar with alignments, and often find myself guessing what other people’s alignments might be (even though I know an actual complex person won’t easily fit into a single box at all times).

I thought it might be interesting to see how others see themselves, when compared to the nine traditional AD&D alignments.

I’m using this for the alignment descriptions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Personally, I see myself as mostly Neutral Good with a sliver of Chaotic Good.

Would anyone else like to play along?

8 Likes

15 Likes

Definitely Chaotic Good. The actual on screen version of me:

6 Likes

Also chaotic good, I’d think.

13 Likes

Ooooo! Look what I found!

16 Likes

2501811_0

And why?

I want to make things better. I want things to change, for the better, and there’s no way to do that without upending laws and traditions. I mean, there was that one time I tried to stop a country from existing because I thought it would help people, so yeah. I’m kind of over here.

Or, to put it more philosophically:

Oh, and edited to add:

What are you talking about?

13 Likes

Well, according to that, I really am Chaotic Neutral. The trick is to let people think you’re good. Right up until it’s too late (for them).

10 Likes

Basically dependent on my form on the day, really.

6 Likes

mechanically inclined alcoholic :japanese_goblin:

5 Likes

I would say I am Neutral Good, though I suspect I fall more into the True Neutral. I try to be altruistic, I really do, but often life just feels like choosing the lesser of two evils.

By the way, Rich Burlew has been doing awesome work deconstructing alignment in his self-aware stick figure comic. For example, the slippery slope of good:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1151.html

7 Likes

Ahhhh, Order of the Stick!

I have either three or four volumes of those comics, but lost touch with it many years back. It’s great to see it still trekking on. I expect I will have some catching up to do, once I figure out where I left off.

3 Likes

Oh, I think you will enjoy it. Durkon is no longer a vampire, but how he managed to kill the vampire from within is quite a tale. And though Belkar is still Chaotic Evil, his character growth is slowly pushing him to Chaotic Neutral territory as feelings creep into him.

4 Likes

Chaotic good for sure. Every now and then I try to force my RPG characters to go down the path of evil to expand my horizons. It amuses Mrs. Faffenreffer to no end when I fail.

4 Likes

Oh, when I role-play, I use the alignment to guide my improv, so to speak. I never play evil, except as a DM’s aid doing the antagonists, but in a party I can’t square the selfishness with long-term party cohesion. But my chaotic good renegade mage (Dragonlance) is different from my lawful neutral sergeant serving under orders of his liege to help the party. Or the true neutral druid, working to keep a balance only he can see, and talking in riddles.

Damn, I miss role-playing. I need to dig up my notes for GURPS Dragonlance again.

6 Likes

9 Likes

I mean, I am not in favour of things like asset seizure in general, but I am willing to make exceptions. I would laugh, for example, if a certain organisation whose name starts with a T and ends with an ass was RICO’d to Hell and back.

I mostly hate policies that hurt the little people, because I am one of them. And even if I wasn’t, it’s a safety net if I become one. And bigger crowds around me provide more space to hide.

5 Likes

“If I don’t make it, tell my wife I said: hello”

7 Likes

Chaotic neutral or chaotic good, depending on my mood.

1 Like

I want things to get better too, because it’s not a zero sum game and better for you means better for me.

Just because I favour helping everybody doesn’t mean that I am doing it just for helping’s sake. I am too cynical to be that noble.

7 Likes

Definitely a chaotic space moose

4 Likes